lds.org study notebook api?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
packrd

lds.org study notebook api?

Post by packrd »

does the lds.org study notebook have an API we can use?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: lds.org study notebook api?

Post by aebrown »

No.
harleypig

Post by harleypig »

What an amazingly terse and succinct answer! :D

Are there any plans to make an api available? Having lost my notes and annotations once, I am now double entering them. First into my own notebook, then copying them into the relevant online study notebook. It's a royal pain.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

harleypig wrote:What an amazingly terse and succinct answer! :D

Are there any plans to make an api available? Having lost my notes and annotations once, I am now double entering them. First into my own notebook, then copying them into the relevant online study notebook. It's a royal pain.
I don't know, and I doubt that anyone that knows will happen across this discussion.

But since such an API would involve LDS Account authentication, I would think it is highly unlikely that such an API would be released to the public in any way. Previous inquiries along those lines have always received a response that LDS Account authentication is only for official Church applications, not for third-party applications.
packrd

Post by packrd »

aebrown wrote:

I don't know, and I doubt that anyone that knows will happen across this discussion.

But since such an API would involve LDS Account authentication, I would think it is highly unlikely that such an API would be released to the public in any way. Previous inquiries along those lines have always received a response that LDS Account authentication is only for official Church applications, not for third-party applications.
Familysearch uses LDS account logins and has 3rd party API's (3rd party's basically have to use oauth or its like to authenticate with their LDS account to use the API).
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

packrd wrote:
aebrown wrote:

Familysearch uses LDS account logins and has 3rd party API's (3rd party's basically have to use oauth or its like to authenticate with their LDS account to use the API).
True but unless I"m mistaken any applications using those APIs must go through an approval process so even those API aren't generally available.

However, backup/transfer of notes is a valid concern. I expect some sort of export/import facility would be a more likely alternative. The best way to request an enhancement is by using the Feedback link on any lds.org page where it shows up.

Return to “General Discussions”