Unsubscribed calendar events included in synced calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
smconvey

Unsubscribed calendar events included in synced calendar

Post by smconvey »

This has been an ongoing problem for me and others in my stake. I found this very long thread, but there doesn't appear to be a good solution:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... &start=180
What is the current status of this issue?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Unsubscribed calendar events included in synced calendar

Post by aebrown »

smconvey wrote:This has been an ongoing problem for me and others in my stake. I found this very long thread, but there doesn't appear to be a good solution:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... &start=180
What is the current status of this issue?
The thread you linked to has nothing to do with "Unsubscribed calendar events included in synced calendar"; it dealt with the sync not working at all. And that thread is very old and the particular issue was fixed long ago. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say by linking to that old thread.

What the title of this thread sounds like is exactly what you requested in the existing thread One of Two Enhancement Requests (please). Am I missing something, or are you just raising the same issue again?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The thread you linked to is a discussion about syncing not working. Your issue is is different.

Some people mistakenly believe that if the check box for a calendar listed in the "Subscribed Calendars" box on the main calendar page is unchecked that they have unsubscribed to the calendar. The calendars listed in the "Subscribed Calendars" list is to allow a user to have a subscribed calendar's events displayed on the main calendar. Unchecking a calendar only removes that calendar's events from being displayed on the main calendar. It has nothing to do with subscribing and unsubscribing to a calendar. Nor does it affect calendars included in a sync.

To unsubscribe to a calendar a user must go to Settings (gear icon) > Subscriptions and change the "Status" of the calendar from "Subscribed" to "Unsubscribed". This is done by clicking the blue "Subscribed" button. It will change to a white "Unsubscribed" button when the calendar is unsubscribed.

If you have unsubscribed to a calendar as I have just explained and you are still getting events from that calendar in a sync then there is a bug or sync problem. This has not been reported by others.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

aebrown wrote:The thread you linked to has nothing to do with "Unsubscribed calendar events included in synced calendar"; it dealt with the sync not working at all. And that thread is very old and the particular issue was fixed long ago. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say by linking to that old thread.
Sorry, I posted the wrong thread, here is the correct thread:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... d92#p55379
aebrown wrote:What the title of this thread sounds like is exactly what you requested in the existing thread One of Two Enhancement Requests (please). Am I missing something, or are you just raising the same issue again?
No, different issue. This issue is (as the subject says) "unsubscribed calendar events are included in synced calendars". My other post is an enhancement request to allow subscriptions to be different between synced calendars and the website calendar.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

jdlessley wrote:The thread you linked to is a discussion about syncing not working. Your issue is is different.
Yes, that post was linked to this one:
When I originally posted, I posted the wrong link by mistake.
jdlessley wrote:Some people mistakenly believe that if the check box for a calendar listed in the "Subscribed Calendars" box on the main calendar page is unchecked that they have unsubscribed to the calendar. The calendars listed in the "Subscribed Calendars" list is to allow a user to have a subscribed calendar's events displayed on the main calendar. Unchecking a calendar only removes that calendar's events from being displayed on the main calendar. It has nothing to do with subscribing and unsubscribing to a calendar. Nor does it affect calendars included in a sync.

To unsubscribe to a calendar a user must go to Settings (gear icon) > Subscriptions and change the "Status" of the calendar from "Subscribed" to "Unsubscribed". This is done by clicking the blue "Subscribed" button. It will change to a white "Unsubscribed" button when the calendar is unsubscribed.

If you have unsubscribed to a calendar as I have just explained and you are still getting events from that calendar in a sync then there is a bug or sync problem. This has not been reported by others.
I understand the difference, unsubscribe from the "Settings (gear icon) > Subscriptions" page, and events from unsubscribed calendars still show up.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

smconvey wrote:Sorry, I posted the wrong thread, here is the correct thread:
That thread is an old thread. After going through the entire thread I was able to only find one mention of unsubscribed calendars being included in a sync. That discussion began in this post. But later on that same poster attributed the problem to operator error in this post. I still cannot find someone else posting this same problem. I'm not discounting there may be a problem now. But for the most part there may be explanations that can be resolved.

Can you provide more details as to what is happening and what device, program, or site the sync is including these unsubscribed calendars? Can you describe the process step by step that results in the problem?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At the risk of pile-on, please verify that the calendars have been unsubscribed to in the "subscription" page, and not just simply unchecked on the main page.

Note that because of the ways things work now, all calendars (checked or unchecked) that you see on the main page will be in the sync.

Note also that it's up to the system you are syncing to to establish a sync schedule. In the case of Google, you may have to wait 24 hours for a change in your subscriptions to automatically appear in Google/Android.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

I just double checked my configuration and don't seem to be having the problem currently. I had it about two months ago and stopped syncing as a result. What prompted this post is a High Councilor who approached me with the problem. I have sent him an email and asked him to verify what your are saying. I'll let you know the result when I find out.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

I stand corrected. After double checking with the HC with the problem, he had not unsubscribed correctly. I have had this problem in the recent past (within the past six months), but can't seem to replicate it currently. Thanks for your help on this.

Return to “Calendar”