Locating Address for Moved Members

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bst3ck

Locating Address for Moved Members

Post by bst3ck »

Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of handing out last years contribution reports and we have about 3-4 members that we do not have a record of their new addresses. We had thought that all moved members address could be accessed through MLS but we are not able to find it. Does anyone know of a method to look up the addresses for moved members?

Thanks
Ben S.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Locating Address for Moved Members

Post by aebrown »

Go to the Add/Update Donors screen. For donors who were once members of you're ward, their addresses should have been updated.
stschoey

Post by stschoey »

Ben, I am having the same issue this year.

aebrown,

I would have thought that was the way as that was how I did it last year. However, this year, the members addresses are empty. I know that one of them has a new calling in his ward, so it is confusing that I can't get to it this year.

-Steven
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

stschoey wrote:I would have thought that was the way as that was how I did it last year. However, this year, the members addresses are empty. I know that one of them has a new calling in his ward, so it is confusing that I can't get to it this year.
Have you verified that these donor records are of type "member"? If they are any other type, the linkage for updating the addresses won't work.

I've seen some indications that some donor records were changed from type "member" to another type (typically "member of another unit") by the system (CUBS or MLS, I don't know which). In that case, the linkage would be broken, and there would be no way to reestablish it for people who've moved out of your ward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I can report that all our member move outs for 2012 do not have an address listed in MLS. Clicking on the out-of-unit member name in the Add/Update Donors screen shows 100% of moved out member addresses (all 104 of them) as being blank. I went through each one individually expecting to find the addresses of those members for which we provided an address when we sent the records out. Even those resulted in 100% no addresses.
aebrown wrote:I've seen some indications that some donor records were changed from type "member" to another type (typically "member of another unit") by the system (CUBS or MLS, I don't know which). In that case, the linkage would be broken, and there would be no way to reestablish it for people who've moved out of your ward.
Every member record that was moved out of our ward was changed to "member of another unit" by the "system". So the result is with the link to the record lost there is no address.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
leejw

Post by leejw »

I had the same issue with not being able to get the addresses for the members that had moved out. I had to do it the hard way by contacting everyone by looking through old membership lists and e-mail addresses. I hope this can be fixed for next year.

John
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I just don't worry about it. If the member who moved whats his information he can contact us and we will send it to them.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When I was ward clerk, we would attempt to provide the report to members where we knew their address (in one case, a boundary change moved a bunch into the ward we share the building with - I just printed them and gave them to that ward's clerk to hand out). If we did not have their address, I didn't loose any sleep over it - those who wanted the report always contacted the Bishop and we provided it to them.
sghall

Post by sghall »

Since we are a YSA ward, we have people moving in and out all the time. If we can't contact a former member through the usual means (phone/e-mail), we use the Member Record Update Report to locate the unit where their records went and forward the papers to their new bishop's address (taken from CDOL) with a note to pass it on to the member.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sghall wrote: we use the Member Record Update Report to locate the unit where their records went
This report is not stored in MLS but must be printed when prompted at the time the record is moved out and saved to be available in the future.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”