Calendaring issues: Sorry, the data service has failed messa

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bkt64

Calendaring issues: Sorry, the data service has failed messa

Post by bkt64 »

I am getting the error "Sorry, the data service has failed. Please contact support." error when I try updating the repeating reservations. At first I thought it was because I had an inconsistency, but I double and triple checked my information and nothing seems to be out of line. I even rewatched the video "Editing Repeating Events" and did as it told me. I also tried to move an reservation, but the weeks were different, so in week view I cannot just slide the reservation to another day since it is in a whole different week. Any suggestions on how to resolve? I did find an end run around the problem, schedule a repeating reservation up until the conflict, then schedule a single reservation to resolve, the another repeating series of reservation to continue.

Note: I am trying to do reservations and not events. If this states events above, please know I am trying to resolve this error message regarding reservations, not events. If you have an idea on why I get this message, please reply why and how I might resolve it. Thanks for your assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendaring issues: Sorry, the data service has failed m

Post by russellhltn »

When you were updating the reservation, was it in "week view" on the main calendar or the reservation page?

And when you say "conflict" was this the situation you were trying to adjust for in the first place, or did you identify something on the calendar that was giving the reservation some problems?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bkt64

Post by bkt64 »

I am trying to update a single event from a reoccuring event, in the reservation screen, and in the month view setting. What I need to do in this example, a pack meeting needs to be changed from a Thursday to a Friday. I change the date, and choose "Only this even" and then I get the message. Please assist, thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not sure what is going on, but trying to use reservations for events is not a good idea. What should be done is the pack meeting should be scheduled as an event.

Reservations can be overridden and does not block other organizations in the same unit from creating conflicting events.

But to use events, you may need to have someone create/authorize or otherwise grant you edit rights to the appropriate calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bkt64

Post by bkt64 »

I am sorry if I am being obnoxious, but this doesn't make sense to me. If I need to get access to another ward's calendar to schedule events, then why have a building scheduler (me) in the first place? Why would anyone need to call me if they can just schedule their events, and not call me for a reservation. Perhaps I just don't understand my calling yet, but as I understood it, I am to schedule the building and to make sure there are no conflicts. I am allowed to make reservations, but not events. I have reviewd the tutorial about the difference between events and reservations. It could be that I still don't understand the difference. In this particular case I had scheduled pack meeting to the cub's on an annual reoccuring reservation. It needed to be changed to a friday to accomodate other issues by the cub master. If she coudl have done this on her ward's calendar, then I am not needed. Also, I am sure that this ward will not grant me access to their calendar, I can't even get access to my own ward's calendar to make changes or schedule events. I am confused.... I am finding end runs around the problems, but I don't know if I am causing other issues in that process.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bkt64 wrote:Why would anyone need to call me if they can just schedule their events, and not call me for a reservation. Perhaps I just don't understand my calling yet, but as I understood it, I am to schedule the building and to make sure there are no conflicts.
If the distributed scheduling model is followed, then assigned calendar editors and administrators in the individual wards can schedule events. The system will take care of making sure there is no double booking. If conflicts are reported and someone wants to work out a change in an existing event, the building scheduler can help resolve the conflict.
bkt64 wrote: I am allowed to make reservations, but not events. I have reviewd the tutorial about the difference between events and reservations. It could be that I still don't understand the difference.
It's best to think of reservations as "restrictions" -- limitations on which ward can schedule the building at a particular time. In fact, that terminology change will be made in an upcoming update to the Calendar.
bkt64 wrote: In this particular case I had scheduled pack meeting to the cub's on an annual reoccuring reservation. It needed to be changed to a friday to accomodate other issues by the cub master. If she coudl have done this on her ward's calendar, then I am not needed.
You indeed don't need to schedule individual events. But that hardly means that you are not needed. It's just that with the distributed scheduling model, the building scheduler has a much smaller role than in the past.

Focus on using reservations as they are intended, and help resolve the occasional conflict that may arise. Leave the individual event scheduling to the wards.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

bkt64 wrote:I am sorry if I am being obnoxious, but this doesn't make sense to me. If I need to get access to another ward's calendar to schedule events, then why have a building scheduler (me) in the first place?

I have often wondered this myself. Apart from scheduling reservations (restrictions) which could be done through the clerks office of the agent bishop. There is no need to have the calling of "Building Scheduler" anymore and its confusing to both the Schedulers and the membership.
bkt64 wrote:Why would anyone need to call me if they can just schedule their events, and not call me for a reservation.
No one should ever have to call you unless it a bishop, or someone he designates, in the building who needs to restrict access of other wards on a given date, time, and resources for an extended recurring period of time. And even after the restriction is added the ward still needs to place an event on the calendar. So all that was really needed was a recurring event added to the calendar as it does the samething of blocking out a given date, time, and resource in the building.
bkt64 wrote:Perhaps I just don't understand my calling yet, but as I understood it, I am to schedule the building and to make sure there are no conflicts.
Yes and no. Your job is not to schedule events in the building but to add building restrictions as needed, wards in the building are to schedule events.

The other part of your job is to help member with any conflicts that may ac-cure by working with both parties to solve a conflict that could not me solved on their own. For instance one ward may have a restriction for the entire building on a given day, and another ward may want to schedule an event for part of the building on that day. Your job as a building scheduler, after working with both units to solve the conflict, would to adjust the restriction on that day so the other ward could schedule the area they need.

Here again this could of all be solved by the use of events with ward only scheduling the areas of the building they really need.
bkt64 wrote:I am allowed to make reservations, but not events.
Correct, as a matter of fact you can't make an event unless it for your own ward and you have been given editor rights from one of your ward administrators.

bkt64 wrote:I have reviewd the tutorial about the difference between events and reservations. It could be that I still don't understand the difference. In this particular case I had scheduled pack meeting to the cub's on an annual reoccuring reservation. It needed to be changed to a friday to accomodate other issues by the cub master.
Pack meeting should have been added as a recurring event by a ward editor, I would hope the Cub Master was an editor, for the appropriate calendar for that ward. The ward then could make the change to just the one event.
bkt64 wrote:If she could have done this on her ward's calendar, then I am not needed.
Correct you are not needed in this instance.
bkt64 wrote:Also, I am sure that this ward will not grant me access to their calendar,
Even if they wanted to the calendar program will not allow it.
bkt64 wrote: I can't even get access to my own ward's calendar to make changes or schedule events./quote]
Unless you are an auxiliary leader or your ward whats to give you those rights you don't need them.
bkt64 wrote:I am confused.... I am finding end runs around the problems, but I don't know if I am causing other issues in that process.
You could be causing problems by adding restrictions when an event was all that's needed.

Don't be confused just start telling members who call you to schedule something that they need to call a ward calendar editor. Then make sure the leaders of the wards in the building your responsible for are trained on the proper use of the calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bkt64 wrote:If I need to get access to another ward's calendar to schedule events, then why have a building scheduler (me) in the first place?
The big problem is that the new calendar represents a cultural shift from the past. But few units have recognized the change, so they follow the old model of referring everyone to a central "building scheduler".

If desired, each unit can have a central calender administrator, but the new system doesn't support one person handling multiple units.

bkt64

Post by bkt64 »

Wonderful! This is so much easier and thanks for the continued assistance. I look forward to "resolving issues" rather than creating them. Having individual wards schedule their events will be much easier in the long run. I again thank you for your assistance.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Since "Building Scheduler" duties are minimal, one proposal I'm making is that the "Building Scheduler" should also be something like a "calendar administrator" in his or her ward. That person would be familiar with the calendar and would be responsible for teaching the "calendar administrators" in other wards in the building how to use the calendaring tool, answering questions about it, etc.

Return to “Calendar”