Sunday School Group(s!) quirky?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
clf23

Sunday School Group(s!) quirky?

Post by clf23 »

Our MLS is showing two separate Sunday School groups I think. When I click on Callings By Organization, Sunday School is listed twice. In that same tab, when I view only the Sunday school org., it shows a few of the Sunday School positions. But when I just go directly to the Sunday School organzation tab (directly from the "Organizations" tab) is takes me to another listing of different Sunday School callings.

I tried to simplify by removing all the callings listed under "Callings By Organzation" and putting them in place in the full "Sunday School" tab. I was able to put most of them there, but unfortunately, I can not put the Sunday school President back.

It also is not listing Sunday School President as pre-provided calling anywhere that I can see. Soooo, now I've got 2 Sunday school sections in "Callings by Organization", one is just the bar with the "Sunday School" title (but absolutely no data in, just a tiny 1/4" bar) and then I've got another section called Sunday School that shows no president or teachers. BUT when I just go to the Sunday School organization page, it does list all my teachers, but won't let me add a SS Pres.

Anyhow, rather convoluted, but this is the first time I've had a chance to poke around in MLS since the 3.5.1 update and I'd like to get my MLS back in working order. Any ideas how to fix this, or if there is even a problem? Maybe SS Pres is a calling that was removed :)

Chris
clf23

Re: Sunday School Group(s!) quirky?

Post by clf23 »

To add to this a little, I'm now digging around on LDS.org and seeing duplicate organizations. Here is a complete list of all Organizations listed on LDS.org. I've bolded the ones that appear twice.
Bishopric
High Priests Group Leadership
High Priests Group
Elders Quorum Presidency
Elders Quorum
Relief Society Presidency
Other Relief Society Callings
Relief Society
Young Single Adult
Young Men Presidency
Priests Quorum
Teachers Quorum
Deacons Quorum
Scouting
Young Men
Young Women Presidency
Laurel
Mia Maid
Beehive
Young Women
Gospel Principles
Gospel Doctrine
Course 17
Course 16
Course 15
Course 14
Course 13
Course 12
Sunday School
Sunday School Presidency
Gospel Doctrine
Course 17
Course 16
Course 15
Course 14
Course 13
Course 12
Gospel Principles

Marriage and Family Relations
Missionary Preparation
Teaching the Gospel
Temple Preparation
Temple and Family history
Sunday School
Primary Presidsency
Valiant 11
Valiant 10
Valiant 9
Valiant 8
CTR 7
CTR 6
CTR 5
CTR 4
Sunbeam
Nursery
Pre-Nursery
Primary
Cub Scouts
Scouting (eleven year old)
Activity days
Technology
Activties and Sports
Ward missionaries
Employement and Welfare
Music
Facilities
Family History
Other Callings
Other Callings

Anyhow, I've got a bunch of duplicates in the Sunday school area, but no duplicate for SS Presidency. And oddly enough, I'm unable to add a SS Pres. I guess I've also got two "Other Callings". Is one really "Out of Unit"?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

What does CDOL show?
clf23 wrote:It also is not listing Sunday School President as pre-provided calling anywhere that I can see.
From the main menu click on Organizations > Sunday School. In the upper right of the page make sure "All" is displayed in the "Show:" list options. In the "Leadership Callings" section of the same page click the "Add Position" link. On the "Add Position" pop-up dialogue box click the "Select" button to the right of the "Position" entry line. There should be four standard positions to choose from in the "Select Position" dialogue box. The first should be Sunday School President. Are you saying Sunday School President is not available in the "Select Position" dialogue box?

Answers to these two questions will help in determining what further action needs to be taken. If what I suspect you have in CDOL is correct then following a modified course of action based on the Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedures may clear things up. But if there is no Sunday School President listed in the "Select Position" dialogue box then you may have a database error that may need the attention of LUS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

This looks like some of the problems we have seen from pre MLS 3.5 and CDOL not talking nicely. We have a process written that cleans up those organizations that shouldn't have 2. I have run that for your unit. That will help some, but it doesn't get rid of the duplicate Sunday School classes. You will have to do a unit data refresh to get that down to MLS. Hopefully that will help.
clf23

Post by clf23 »

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get over to the church during the week to check out if it is fixed up now, try all the steps suggested, and see where that puts me. I'll report back with my findings. Thank you!,

Chris
clf23

Post by clf23 »

Ok, I've logged in at the church again. In MLS, the drop-down list view from the Callings by Organization page still shows 2 Sunday Schools. And neither of them show any teachers, but all the teachers are listed correctly in the section for their class. So it is working, even though that view still seems to show 2 Sunday Schools.

But from the regular Sunday School organization page I was able to add the President back now, so that is fixed.

As for the SS classes, they are all double listed, and I tried a unit data refresh and that did not help remove the duplicate classes. Any other thoughts how to clean those out?

All in all, it still feels a little quirky, but on the surface its working well.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

clf23 wrote:As for the SS classes, they are all double listed, and I tried a unit data refresh and that did not help remove the duplicate classes.
Are you aware of the time delays required for the process of a unit data refresh? It doesn't happen immediately. You send a request with one Send/Receive, and then some time later (it used to be a couple of hours, but perhaps it's a bit quicker these days), you can do another Send/Receive and get the actual refreshed data. If you do another Send/Receive before the data is ready on the server, it will have no effect.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

clf23 wrote:As for the SS classes, they are all double listed, and I tried a unit data refresh and that did not help remove the duplicate classes. Any other thoughts how to clean those out?
A unit data refresh only sends a request for CDOL and CMIS to send down to MLS data that is in those systems. After the second receive, everything that is in CDOL and CMIS should be in the ward MLS. When everything is in MLS then you should be able to delete the duplicate data. Other posters with duplicate data have reported the need to do several unit data refreshes after deleting everything that was related to the duplications. This enabled them to get everything cleaned out to start afresh.

Classes can be reset. This is a drastic measure that resets every class in the organization. In this case all Sunday School classes would be reset. If there are any split or merged classes or members moved to a specialty class, all that work will have to be redone.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”