Firefox picture upload broken

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rpyne

Firefox picture upload broken

Post by rpyne »

I can no longer upload pictures from Firefox. The upload dialog opens, but it is completely blank.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I verified this in FireFox 12.0. As an administrator the "Add a photo" link, "Change" photo link, and "Upload Photos" link all result in the same blank dialog pop-up with the "waiting" hourglass mouse pointer. Firebug does not report any errors and shows the action completed.

I tried this with IE 8.0.6001.18702 and the photo upload links all work fine.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
khous

Upload Photos also not working for me using Firefox

Post by khous »

I noticed on Saturday May 5, 2012 that I got a blank white window and an endless hourglass. I am the web admin for our ward and have been uploading photos for months until now. I thought that this would be taken care of in a day or two, but it has been over a week so far. Does anyone have an estimate as to when it will be working again? Is anyone working on it? Is anyone listening?:confused:
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

khous wrote:I thought that this would be taken care of in a day or two, but it has been over a week so far. Does anyone have an estimate as to when it will be working again? Is anyone working on it? Is anyone listening?:confused:
There are developers who use this forum. But for some reason they have not responded. You can always use the "Submit Feedback" link found at the bottom of the Directory page. But be advised there is little chance of getting a reply in a reasonable amount of time based on past experience. The feedback will be routed to the appropriate team however.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The problem with the uploader in Firefox is being caused by a problem with the network infrastructure. Unfortunately it is proving to be very difficult to fix. Luckily, the problem the network is causing is only affecting Firefox.

It's possible this won't be fixed until we release the next version of Directory that replaces the Flash version of the uploader with a Javascript version. In the meantime we will probably add a message informing Firefox users to use a different browser to upload.
mjhendriksen

Browser (Firefox) not working for picture uploads.

Post by mjhendriksen »

jdcr256 wrote:The problem with the uploader in Firefox is being caused by a problem with the network infrastructure. Unfortunately it is proving to be very difficult to fix. Luckily, the problem the network is causing is only affecting Firefox.

It's possible this won't be fixed until we release the next version of Directory that replaces the Flash version of the uploader with a Javascript version. In the meantime we will probably add a message informing Firefox users to use a different browser to upload.
I am also using the latest Firefox for MacOSX, version 12. I use MacOSX and Linux. Do I just need to wait a few months? Am I required to use Windows at this point and IE7 or 8? The system says to use "another supported browser". What other browers ARE supported? There is no IE for Mac or Linux. All my files are on a MacOS machine, which has worked very well for a long time. Thank you for replying!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Have you tried Google Chrome?
JD Lessley
mjhendriksen

Safari works!

Post by mjhendriksen »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have since found that Safari DOES work. I have not had as good luck in the past with Safari but this is a newer version. I am using OSX 10.6.8 and Firefox is my preferred browser. I have used Chrome on other hardware and it is very good. Will try it. Thank you!
bgtaylor4

Re: Firefox picture upload broken

Post by bgtaylor4 »

So now it is Jan 27th 2013 and these messages are still occurring. I run Firefox as my browser. Are you telling me I cannot do my calling without changing browsers? Really don't want any other browser (don't trust them, especially Internet Explorer). If I cannot do my calling (or even change my own photos as a member) perhaps even though just called I should ask to be released.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Firefox picture upload broken

Post by aebrown »

bgtaylor4 wrote:So now it is Jan 27th 2013 and these messages are still occurring. I run Firefox as my browser. Are you telling me I cannot do my calling without changing browsers? Really don't want any other browser (don't trust them, especially Internet Explorer). If I cannot do my calling (or even change my own photos as a member) perhaps even though just called I should ask to be released.
You have a couple of options:
  • Use another browser for just the photo upload part of your calling (you can still use Firefox for everything else)
  • Wait until the next version of the Directory is released, which does allow photo uploads using Firefox. That version is in beta right now, so it shouldn't be much longer.
Asking to be released over a browser issue would seem to me to be premature.
Last edited by russellhltn on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken "list" tag.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”