Download large Youth Videos Zip File

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
wsplawn

Download large Youth Videos Zip File

Post by wsplawn »

I am on a PC and I am on the Aaronic Priesthood page and at the bottom there are some links for downloading. I select Videos for units 1-3. A couple of questions please.

What does units 1-3 mean? Does it mean videos for Jan - March?

If I select this download in the Aaronic Priesthood page and then move to the Young Women Page, I believe there is a similar Downloads section. If I download from the Young Women's section Units 1-3 is this something different from what is downloaded when you select units 1-3 from the Aaronic Priesthood page or is it essentially the same download? Do the downloads in one page, like Aaronic Priesthood include all the needed downloads for the other two groups (like Young Women and Sunday School) or is it necessary to go to each site (page) and download separately?

Thank you
rknelson

Re: Download large Youth Videos Zip File

Post by rknelson »

wsplawn wrote:I am on the Aaronic Priesthood page and at the bottom there are some links for downloading. I select Videos for units 1-3. What does units 1-3 mean? Does it mean videos for Jan - March?
Correct, Units 1-3 is Jan - March for Aaronic Priesthood. It contains all _downloadable_ videos from the learning outlines.
wsplawn wrote:If I download from the Young Women's section Units 1-3 is this something different from what is downloaded when you select units 1-3 from the Aaronic Priesthood page
Yes, while there is some duplication, (because there is some overlap between YM and YW videos), you need all three zip files (YM, YW, and SS) to have them all.
jwabraham

Post by jwabraham »

I am part of a Senior Couple serving a mission in Botswana Africa. Our mission office is a 10 hour drive away. Our Internet service is only a little better than dial-up. I tried to download the LDS youth videos and the dialog box said the 1-3 videos were over 1GB in size and would take over 1 day to download.

Can the videos be made available in an individual format so I could download 1 month at at time?

Is there a DVD available that could be ordered?

Thank you.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jwabraham wrote:Can the videos be made available in an individual format so I could download 1 month at at time?
Yes. Your best starting place would be a 27 page PDF file (5.5MB) called Showing Video in Meetinghouses that explains how to download the videos one at a time, or all at once. It also gives suggestions on how to play them for the particular device you are using.
jwabraham wrote:Is there a DVD available that could be ordered?
They told us they are working on it, but it may not be available for at least another month or so.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

There are instructions here as well:
https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/sho ... laptop.htm
jwabraham

Post by jwabraham »

The real problem is that the Internet is so slow here that it takes multiple hours download a large file.

It would really help if the capability existed to
1) download the files in much smaller chunks that would be assembled into the complete file after all the parts were downloaded. OR
2) have the download protocol be able to accept interruptions and continue from where the previous transmission left off. Or
3) something else

Elder Abraham
Botswana, Africa.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

You can download one video at a time by clicking on them and clicking on the "download" button below each video. My math says they would take around a half hour to 2 hours depending on the video. That is with the highest resolution. Lower resolution files will also decrease the download time. I don't know how long mail takes, or how reliable it is, but a USB flash drive from the district office (4GB) would take care of 3 months of lessons for YM, YW, and SS.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jwabraham wrote: 2) have the download protocol be able to accept interruptions and continue from where the previous transmission left off. Or
If you are not already using a download manager, install a download manager that allows resume from interrupt. Do an Internet search using "download manager that resume broken downloads" and you will see there are download managers that are both free and for fee.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I expressed this same concern in another post a couple weeks ago. It's quite cumbersome to have to go not just into every lesson but into each module and find and bring up the videos to download them. Yes 3 months worth is just too big to be practical, even on a high speed connection.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

craiggsmith wrote:3 months worth is just too big to be practical, even on a high speed connection.
I like the large download personally. It would also be good to have a compiled list on one web page organized by YM/YW/SS, then by month with all the individual links. However, please don't remove the large zip file - that is easier if you have a reliable high speed connection to download it.

Return to “Digital Media”