Can I see all the calendars in my stake?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kylerchristensen

Can I see all the calendars in my stake?

Post by kylerchristensen »

I am a counselor in the stake presidency and I would like to be able to see all the ward and building calendars in my stake. Is this possible? Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can I see all the calendars in my stake?

Post by russellhltn »

You can see all the events happening at a given building by selecting "week view" and checking the locations of interest in the left side. This is true for any member.

But you cannot directly view any ward events that are location-less, or "other" location - such as a ward picnic at a local park.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ppeterson

Post by ppeterson »

I am not sure I understand the response. I am a stake Exec Secretary and Stake Website administrator. My stake president would also like to see the Ward calendars throughout the stake. Currently he can only see the calendars for the unit in which he resides as well as the stake calendar.

Are you saying that the viewing permissions are tied to the location of the event, as opposed to the calendar that it is located on?

He is not interested in events at a building, per se, but is interested in viewing the ward calendars, as any member of a specific ward could.

Hope that makes sense.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The simple fact is that it is not possible for anyone to see complete calendars for any ward other than their own. What RussellHltn mentioned was a workaround that allows you to see events on other ward calendars that are scheduled for a particular building. But full access to another ward's calendars is simply not available to anyone at this point -- not even the stake president.

See this post for a summary of other discussions of this particular issue. You may be particularly interested in this post, which shows that the feature is indeed on the backlog of features to be implemented at some point (but the fact that that post is almost two years old is not particularly encouraging).
ppeterson

Post by ppeterson »

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.
macerl

Re: view different stake/ branch calender

Post by macerl »

As the Stake Exec Sec I have resonsibilities to schedule events in Stake buildings other than my own. I can view the Stake Calendar, and my own Ward's Calendar; however, I cannot view other Wards' Calendars and cannot see planning conflicts until after the event is entered. How can I subscribe to other Wards' Calendars?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macerl wrote:How can I subscribe to other Wards' Calendars?
[Moderator note: I moved this post from the topic view different stake/ branch calender to this topic, which deals with the specific issue raised.]

Review the posts in this topic, particularly this one, to see that you can't do this at present, but there are workarounds as well as future possibilities.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

macerl wrote:I cannot view other Wards' Calendars and cannot see planning conflicts until after the event is entered. How can I subscribe to other Wards' Calendars?
You cannot subscribe to wards calendars. However, if you go to the week view of the calendars you can see all the currently scheduled events, necessary to avoid scheduling conflicts, for all the buildings you have selected. What you will not see are events that are scheduled as "No Location" or "Other Location" which should be no problem if your only trying to avoid building scheduling conflicts.
Mandragoran

Post by Mandragoran »

I have been following this topic for several years, hoping to find information on meeting schedules etc. For example, I am now online looking for information on whether the Pittsfield, MA ward will be meeting today. I attend that ward when I am in the area, and it would be helpful to know whether there will be meetings as usual, or not, such as if this Sunday is their stake conference, or as at present, whether Winter storm Q has hit Pittsfield harder than North Adams - without calling any of my friends in the ward on the old fashioned voice phone when they are trying to get ready to go on Sunday morning. Both of those have occurred in the past, i.e., I have gone to church and found it empty for each reason, stake conference and weather.

I assume the reason why we cannot see local information is for privacy / security. Since we do not generally worry about invasion of the ward's privacy or security by the stake presidency for any evil purposes:-), I suggest that a work-around would be for each bishop to share his log-in information with the stake president, thereby allowing the president to look at that ward's information. Hope that helps. As often discussed in General Conference, the Lord has enabled us to have all this cool technology, let's make use of it. A friend of mine who was an electrical engineer with quite a list of patents said that by the power of the Holy Ghost we may know the truth of all things, even if it seems that we are doing our work with our own intellectual resources. And in my work I manufacture materials from which electronic components can be made, so I am doing my part:-) And in the same spirit as Charles Wesley, the noted composer of many hymns, who said he did not want to let the Devil have all the good songs, let's use the Internet for good, and offset some of the evil that is done with it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mandragoran wrote:I suggest that a work-around would be for each bishop to share his log-in information with the stake president,
If my stake president asked for my login information, I'd tell him "no". (I have refused my company's HR when they tried that.)

It's against the TOS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”