881W installation

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

881W installation

Post by drepouille »

I replaced the ASA 5505 in the stake center this afternoon. The FM gave me an 881W and a 16-port Cisco switch. The activation went smoothly as documented.

The default configuration only gave me 9 static IP addresses, so I called the Global Service Center, and they added another range. The original configuration had the gateway at 129, the static IP range from 130 to 138, and the DHCP from 139 to 254.

The GSC added another static IP range from 2 to 19, and another FHCP from 20 to 126, incrementing the third octet by 1 (from 138 to 139). I reset all 12 computers in the stake center to the new static IP addresses, and everything works great.

We still have four PIX 501s and two ASA 5505s in the stake to replace this year. Ugh.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Re: 881W installation

Post by drepouille »

By the way, I am pretty happy to have the new tm.lds.org web site. It doesn't do very much, but it provides a lot more information than we used to have. When I called the GSC today, the tech asked me for the serial number of the new firewall. I was able to bring it up in the TM site faster than she could.
drepouille

Re: 881W installation

Post by drepouille »

I was happy that I replaced the ASA in the stake center yesterday, because I used that ASA today to replace a troublesome PIX in a rural branch. Since the ASA also has PoE, I was able to add an old Aeronet 1200 to the branch meetinghouse to provide more wireless coverage.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”