Other pass-through subcategories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Other pass-through subcategories

Post by drepouille »

I am learning that the stake has several opportunities each year to collect checks from the local units, and submit a group check to another organization. What is the best way to ensure these funds balance? We have used spreadsheets to track the balances, but it is confusing.

For example, when the units submit orders to the Home Canning Center, they write checks to the stake, and the stake pays the Home Canning Center with a single check.
As another example, the units pay the stake for YW Camp, and the stake pays for all Camp expenses. I think we may have a similar situation with Youth Conference, Scouting, etc.

Maybe the answer is to create a large number of "Other" categories, deposit each check from the units into the appropriate category, and then write the stake check using those Other categories. I am too new at this to understand how this all works.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Other pass-through subcategories

Post by aebrown »

In our stake we don't get a large number of these, but for each particular purpose we do have a separate subcategory of Other:AMFA that we use. That makes it easy to run a report on the activity, and to make sure that the balance goes to zero.
johnshaw

Re: Other pass-through subcategories

Post by johnshaw »

In our stake we collect the money as you stated for Girls Camp. We keep a separate spreadsheet because there is a tier of $$ paid depending on some callings/leaders/girls, etc...

I keep track in a spreadsheet against what is deposited into the AMFA account.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Local Unit Finance”