Print Large Map

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
chmsant

Print Large Map

Post by chmsant »

I am having the darndest time trying to print a large format map (36x36) of our branch membership to a PDF so that I can take it to Kinkos and run it off. Everything renders correctly in the browser, but the map is missing regions when I go to pdf, despite being the correct size "paper". I've tried lowering quality all to no avail. Is there some way that the larger files can be generated serverside like they are in CDOL? Not all of us have direct access to a large-format printer from an attached workstation. The staff machines in Kinkos were all running an older version of IE and so I couldn't bring up the map on there directly (even though they weren't supposed to let me try).

Running out of options and needing some help...
CS
Christopher S.
STS - Sacramento, CA (USA)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Print Large Map

Post by aebrown »

The process is a bit tricky; you have to select the correct paper size and orientation in the Page Setup on the printer-friendly Maps page, and then pick the same size and orientation in the print properties for your PDF printer. But I was able to get it to work. I didn't see any regions drop out as you described.

Which PDF printer are you using? I used CutePDF.
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

I've got the paper sizing, orientation and all that matching. Been trying with Adobe PDF but CutePDF gives me the same results. See the attached PDF as an example.
Attachments
Printer-friendly - LDS Maps.pdf
Demo of Map Problem, missing details.
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 292 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The next thing I'd try is a different browser. If you get the same results with different PDF drivers, then it seems most likely that the problem is with the source application (the browser). I used Firefox, by the way, when I had success. I haven't tried other browsers for this particular scenario.
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

I was using chrome, tried Firefox which renders all the map tiles when it prints to PDF (fixed that problem), but now I don't get any of the map markers for the membership despite them showing up on the screen...

So to recap..
-Chrome w/ Adobe PDF - Does not render all map tiles, no member POIs, prints member list at bottom
-Chrome w/ Cute PDF - Does not render all map tiles, no member POIs, prints member list at bottom
-Firefox w/ Adobe PDF - Renders map tiles, no member POIs or member list
-Firefox w/ Cute PDF - Renders map tiles, no member POIs or member list

This is on Windows 7 box, latest updates. FF is version 18, Chrome version 24.0.1312.52 m
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

How large is your ward geographically? I haven't tried lately, but in prior attempts for our large ward I was unable to get the zoom functionality to display the detailed markers for large-format printing. See this thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=11268 from last year.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Call the Global Service Center and have the Church print and deliver a map to you.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

This is for our YSA branch whose boundaries are the same as our stake boundaries. Essentially 26mi N/S and 16mi E/W at it's largest point. Regardless of map size, if they show up on the screen, the expectation is that they should print. Isn't that the whole point of offering large-format maps?

What this really boils down to is we're trying to come up with HT/VT/EMS "zones." If there is another way to map this out electronically to where I can train the person who has been given the assignment, I'm willing to go that route. As of yet, everything I've read on the forums seems a bit complicated for the average joe.
JohnShaw wrote:Call the Global Service Center and have the Church print and deliver a map to you.
THE GSC will print maps with membership information listed?
mbrinson

Post by mbrinson »

cswadner wrote:This is for our YSA branch whose boundaries are the same as our stake boundaries. Essentially 26mi N/S and 16mi E/W at it's largest point. Regardless of map size, if they show up on the screen, the expectation is that they should print. Isn't that the whole point of offering large-format maps?

What this really boils down to is we're trying to come up with HT/VT/EMS "zones." If there is another way to map this out electronically to where I can train the person who has been given the assignment, I'm willing to go that route. As of yet, everything I've read on the forums seems a bit complicated for the average joe.
JohnShaw wrote:Call the Global Service Center and have the Church print and deliver a map to you.
THE GSC will print maps with membership information listed?
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”