Canon Microfilm Scanner USB / Win 7 Issue

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
sammythesm

Canon Microfilm Scanner USB / Win 7 Issue

Post by sammythesm »

We have a Canon Microfilm Scanner 300 with a usb interface in our family history center. It worked fine with the old Windows XP machine, but when we upgraded to Windows 7 (the new Lenovo all-in-ones), it does not appear to be compatible. I tried installing the Windows XP driver, but it would not work. Anyone have this same scanner or issue? Any workarounds? Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Canon Microfilm Scanner USB / Win 7 Issue

Post by russellhltn »

Have you tried going here to get the Windows 7 drivers?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

According to the Cannon Microfilm Scanner 300 support site "[t]here is no driver for the OS Version you selected [to download]. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver." To me that sounds like they have no clue whether the scanner will work with Windows 7 or not.

Did you use the Scanner and Camera Installation wizard to manually install?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:Have you tried going here to get the Windows 7 drivers?
The link you gave is to the Canon Microfilm Scanner 300II. That is not the same as the Canon Microfilm Scanner 300.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Have you tried going here to get the Windows 7 drivers?
The link you gave is to the Canon Microfilm Scanner 300II. That is not the same as the Canon Microfilm Scanner 300.
Huh. I thought I clicked the right model. Fixed the link, but as you've observed, there's no driver.

Since it appears that Windows 7 isn't dealing with it, it looks like there may be no choice but to stick with XP. You could run XP mode in Win7, but I'm not sure as that buys you much.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Yes - I tried installing as a generic Win 7 scanner. No luck. Tried installing the XP drivers. No luck. I should have mentioned the bit on their website - it's classic isn't it. I agree they should have put, "we have no idea whether this will work or not, but we're done supporting it."

I suppose I should call FHC Support to at least raise the issue so they are aware of it. I'm just not in much of a mood to talk to a service missionary today... :cool:
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Sammy, I totally get that Service Missionary dread :) If you haven't tried it, and it's on the site, you might try vista. When I upgraded to Win 7 64bit on my clerk computers I had to setup a couple of very old printers that didn't have Win7 64bit drivers, but did have Vista 64bit drivers. There is a trick sometimes, but it is a possible option.

I just did a search and in the fhctech mailing list there was mention that the win7 image from FHC came with the driver installed on the system. Maybe it's still there... do a search on the local hard drive for canon, that might get it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

If that is the one with a SCSI interface also, call FamilySearch support and tell them you need a Full of half height SCSI card. We did and ours does work with windows 7.

After the card is working, you really don't need to do much other than install Xnview program. Simple program and it runs the scanner perfectly as long as the scanner is on BEFORE you boot the PC.

Post a picture of the machine and its connectors.
Roland
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

@Roland - that's good to know. I will look for a SCSI interface on the unit. At first glance, all I saw was USB. If it does, I have a new problem in that the Lenovo all-in-one computers won't support an expansion card. In that case, I may have to shop for some kind of SCSI to USB conversion box, if such a thing exists.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

If you can post up the exact model number I can help in getting it to work. SCSI to USB would be a new one for me, it may work.

There are several verities of this machine and they all say Microfilm 300 on the front.
Roland

Return to “Family History Centers”