How do I get a printer replaced?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
dhamson-p40

How do I get a printer replaced?

Post by dhamson-p40 »

I have a printer going bad in the FHC. Where do I go for the replacement?
Doug :o
Farmington NM Stake Technology Spec.
opee

Post by opee »

According to this document on the Clerk Website, I think you should talk to your FM group.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, that document is for clerk computers, not FHC ones. this is the correct document.

Typically the Family History Department supplies one (maybe two) computers, and a printer. It may also supply a Microfilm scanner which includes a computer and a printer. If one of those breaks, you follow the document (which doesn't seem to really say - I'd contact Family History.)

Outside of that, you're on your own.
dhamson-p40

Replacement Printer Allowed Amount

Post by dhamson-p40 »

I read both offered documents:
The allowed amount for local funded replacement is $150 for the MLS printer, But only $100 for the FHC printer.

Two very similar guidelines, issued within months of each other, but quite different dollar limit. Any comment on why the disparity?
Doug :o
Farmington NM Stake Technology Spec.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dhamson wrote:Two very similar guidelines, issued within months of each other, but quite different dollar limit. Any comment on why the disparity?
The computers are handled by two very different departments. If you were to compare the two, it would be easier to say what they have in common.

Both sides use Windows, Symantec, and LANDesk. Sometimes they even ship the same brand of computers. Both are handled at the local level by the STS.

As noted, the two are covered by different polices. One is issued by the Member Services Support Group, the other by the Family History Department.
pete_arnett-p40

Failing MLS laser printer replacement

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Here is what I did to get a failing MLS laser printer replacement, sent an email to the Stake President and he approved the request and then sent it to our local Facilities Management Group who ordered the laser printer and it arrived in about three (3) weeks

Stake __________

The __________(enter local unit’s name and unit number) has a failing MLS laser printer that has been reviewed and it is not cost effective to repair it because the maintenance kit for the older HP laser printers cost is about $149.00 plus labor which will exceed the repair cost threshold of $150.00

Thanks
Your Fellow Servant,

Also, now is the time to request the Stake President to have your local Facilities Management Group put into their budget for next year to replace older out of warranty devices that are starting to fail
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pete_arnett wrote:maintenance kit for the older HP laser printers cost is about $149.00 plus labor which will exceed the repair cost threshold of $150.00
I had a GX 270 motherboard fail. The replacement cost for the part alone was a few bucks over $150. I called SLC for advice. I was told that $150 was a "guideline" and to go ahead and get it fixed. I double-checked with the FM group and they were OK with the idea. So, that's what I did. Took 1 week.
1historian-p40

Post by 1historian-p40 »

I realize this may sound like a silly question. But is it a authorized FHC or an unauthorized FHC? If its just a FHC that your ward or stake "created" then the church will not cover replacement equipment. Only if it is listed on the family history web site as a family history center will it be covered.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1historian wrote:Only if it is listed on the family history web site as a family history center will it be covered.
Another good way to tell is if it has a unit number. This isn't the same as the unit number for a ward or stake. Typically the FHC unit numbers start with a 3 or a 4.
codyntn-p40

Printer Replacement

Post by codyntn-p40 »

With 10 units in 2 states, I found it usefull have only printers that have the same cartridge make and model. In doing that I can then have only 1 or 2 replacement cartridges and when a spare cartridge is installed in some unit, then I purchase another cartridge.

This avoids the problem where each unit has a spare cartridge and the spare comes up dead when it's finally installed because it's been sitting for a couple of years. Any thing over 6 months to a year of sitting on a shelf can yeild a cartridge that is dead.

Chris C

Return to “Clerk Computers”