Clearwire, et al

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jwizardc

Clearwire, et al

Post by jwizardc »

I am the Stake Tech Geek. One of my buildings is a bit in the hinterlands. Cable and DSL are not available.

Is there a way to connect via some wireless internet provider such as Clearwire? If we fed an 881W, we would be as protected as a hardwire solution.

Thanks!

-jimc
gbekmezian

Re: Clearwire, et al

Post by gbekmezian »

It shouldn't matter how your ISP delivers service to the meetinghouse, as long as they provide a standard IP/ethernet connection to the 881W. The important thing is for you to know exactly what the service is you are receiving in order to set expectations for your local units.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Work with your stake physical facilities representative (a high councilor) and the facilities management group. The FM group is responsible for getting Internet to the building.
parktw

Post by parktw »

While the FM is responsible for getting internet into the building, for the sake of information and understanding I'll post this.

I think Clearwire may be a little tricky unless they have a device with ethernet handoff. I'm only familiar with their wifi devices. I have yet to see Clearwire used in a meetinghouse setting.

Although uncommon in church installations, we sometimes use a 3g/4g usb adapter in conjunction with a device called a "cradlepoint" to convert it into ethernet. You then run that ethernet into the firewall. We don't use it often, but it is something the FM Group should be able to order through the eMarket in cases where it is the only feasible option.
parktw

Post by parktw »

Update:
I just spoke with a ward in California who is currently using Clear Wireless for internet. It's the only building I've ever seen using that provider, but it is possible! :)
john84601

Post by john84601 »

As an FYI, we have a building that uses HughesNet. It hasn't been the most reliable. Clerks seem to be able to transmit when they need, but the FHC is pretty slow.
parktw

Post by parktw »

john84601 wrote:As an FYI, we have a building that uses HughesNet. It hasn't been the most reliable. Clerks seem to be able to transmit when they need, but the FHC is pretty slow.
Yeah, I'm right with John on this one. We have a number of buildings with HughesNet or Digis, but if any other option is available (including 4g) I would recommend that instead. The main reason is the high latency. Because the data goes to a satellite and back, the latency is often over 1000ms, sometimes closer to 2000ms. Even if you get a decent (for satellite) download speed, that latency is unavoidable.

Obviously though the church has many installations where other options aren't available, and satellite is much better than nothing.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”