Wanted: a way to see number of registered users over time

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

RitcheyMT

Wanted: a way to see number of registered users over time

Post by RitcheyMT »

We need to track the number of registered users on the site over time. So at the very least we'd be able to see how many we had this week vs. last week. But it would be even better if we could see how many we had on any given date.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

As I am sure you know, https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Special:Statistics has the following information:
User statistics
There are 332 registered users, of which 12 (or 3.61%) have Sysops rights.
At a minimum, a job could be ran once a day to get the number of registered users (from the above page, directly from the database, or a variable (if it exists)), store that somewhere (file, database, article, etc.), and build the statistics how you want them.

I just had another interesting thought. The Wiki is using Google Analytics . . . can that be used in some way to measure the number of registered users?

Anyway, some quick thoughts that may seed others.
The_Earl

Where can I find my users.

Post by The_Earl »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:...
At a minimum, a job could be ran once a day to get the number of registered users (from the above page, directly from the database, or a variable (if it exists))....
select user_name, user_registration from user;

or

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Newuserlog

I think I would go w/ the database query, and just run stats off of it. The user table also includes last login and a bunch of other stuff you could use (like email) to find out all kinds of cool stuff about who/what/where/when users come to the site.

My test system is MySQL, but you might have a different db, sql should be the same.

Thanks
The Earl
Darris Williams-p40

Registered Users

Post by Darris Williams-p40 »

It looks to me like the Newuserlog extension is worth testing. How do we get it added to the an upcoming iteration and insure that this thread is acted on and the extension implemented?
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

It did not sound like, to me, the requirement was a log of new users, but rather the count over time (maybe even graphing it). Has this requirement change? I am not sure a log would be all that useful. Other extensions seem to me to be more useful. I could be wrong though.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

Darris Williams wrote:It looks to me like the Newuserlog extension is worth testing. How do we get it added to the an upcoming iteration and insure that this thread is acted on and the extension implemented?
Ask for a poll of the feature. Currently, only moderators can create polls.

I disagree that this particular extension is useful for the reporting they are asking for. The DB stores a lot more information in a much easier format than the extension. In particular, trending does not exist in this extension.

If you would like the extension for other reasons, please let us know so we can help push for it.

Thanks
The Earl
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

Darris Williams wrote:It looks to me like the Newuserlog extension is worth testing. How do we get it added to the an upcoming iteration and insure that this thread is acted on and the extension implemented?
For interested parties, Newuserlog is explained at http://arnomane.wordpress.com/2007/06/2 ... xtensions/ among other places.
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:It did not sound like, to me, the requirement was a log of new users, but rather the count over time (maybe even graphing it). [SNIP]
Exactly. Not that the other thing wouldn't be useful. But I'd like a graph of registered users over time. I don't want just the current count; I can already get that from a Special page. I need to be able to see at any given moment how many users we have now vs. any other given moment, or compare what we had the first day of this month vs. the first day of last month.

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”