RS VT Districts and Calling List

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
showseason

RS VT Districts and Calling List

Post by showseason »

Being in bishoprics prior and Ex. Sec. too, I thought I had a decent handle on MLS. Well now as ward clerk I have a problem - Our Relief Society has 12 Visiting Teaching Districts set up. Each has a sister in that position (VT District Supervisor). The problem is only three sisters show up on the other callings list for the RS. And these three all have a sustaining date filled in on the VT District List. The other nine sisters do not have a sustaining date. I tried to go back and enter a sustaining date to see what would happen, MLS lets you save it with no message, but when you go back to look, the date is grayed out again. I even tried to change the name of the sister in that position, it would change but still not show up on the callings list.

I had thought maybe some were set up with a custom calling rather than a standard calling, but when setting up a VT district the calling is already provided - you just add the name.

I even tried a unit refresh.

Bottom line, all the sisters show on the VT District List but not on the RS other callings list or the ward members with callings list.

Appreciate any thoughts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I could be wrong, but I didn't think the VT District Supervisor information flows to the calling list. I thought the usual case was that the Supervisor was a member of the RS Presidency - not someone with a calling specific to supervising.

As such, it's needed for district organization, but it's not a call per se - but rather an assignment.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:I could be wrong, but I didn't think the VT District Supervisor information flows to the calling list.

You are wrong. It does and it's very annoying. :mad: I've given up on trying to keep that particular section of the calling list correct.
showseason

Post by showseason »

RussellHltn wrote:As such, it's needed for district organization, but it's not a call per se - but rather an assignment.

I wondered that too but why do some show and others do not. The wiki Standard Ward Calling list shows those as callings too.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mfmohlma wrote:You are wrong. It does and it's very annoying. :mad: I've given up on trying to keep that particular section of the calling list correct.
I believe what I found was if I always managed if from the callings page rather than entering new ones in the VT districts it worked better.
showseason

Post by showseason »

JonesRK wrote:I believe what I found was if I always managed if from the callings page rather than entering new ones in the VT districts it worked better.
I tried that too but it would add one more VT district with a duplicate name - but maybe that might work. Deleting the districts and setting them up again thru the callings page only. Thanks for the idea.
rdennyhud

Re: RS VT Districts and Calling List

Post by rdennyhud »

This has been an ongoing problem for some time. In our ward, the Relief Society President sets up the Visiting Teaching Districts and Supervisors, but only about half of the eight supervisors show up on the "Callings by Organization" list. As noted above, trying to enter the other supervisors in the callings list, rather than the visiting teaching district list, adds a new district and then requires reassignment of visiting teachers. I tried it once and really disarranged the whole organization (which the Relief Society President then had to ressurect). I don't try that anymore, and also gave up on trying to keep that part of the callings list accurate. There definitely seems to be a glitch in the database. Maybe I'll see if the Relief Society President would be willing to try entering the district supervisors through the callings list rather than the visiting teaching districts list. IMHO, the better solution would be to modify MLS to report the correct information regardless of how it is entered.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

At the risk of forking the thread, I believe this problem is with BOTH VT and HT. I gave up trying to fix it for my HP Home Teaching Districts. Only one HT Supervisor shows in the Callings list even though all three show in the HT Listings. Entering them from either location made no difference. The only thing I haven't done is completely wipe out all the Home Teaching and set it all up again from scratch.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:At the risk of forking the thread, I believe this problem is with BOTH VT and HT.
It's not a fork -- it is indeed the same problem showing up in two places. I think it's helpful to note the scope of the problem.
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

How does the information on the Relief Society->Other Callings list compare to what CDOL says in regards to the district supervisors? Do they not line up as well?
Ryan Gifford
MLS

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”