Assigning non-member father to member child

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tlunt373

Assigning non-member father to member child

Post by tlunt373 »

Recently discovered that a prior ward and part-member family had not recorded the birth/blessing of their child in 2008. Wife and children are members, father is not. Created new record for 4-year old but since father is not a member he is not available to assign as father of child and it did not automatically link the two. As a result, the records show the mother is married to a non-member husband but the new child of record (although now 4) doesn't have a father on record. When creating the new child record, it asked the father but since the father was a non-member it would not let me select/enter his name. Although this child is now a member and listed in the household, how do I tie the child to their non-member father (the father does show up in the household for the spouse and other children).
eblood66

Re: Assigning non-member father to member child

Post by eblood66 »

tlunt373 wrote:Recently discovered that a prior ward and part-member family had not recorded the birth/blessing of their child in 2008. Wife and children are members, father is not. Created new record for 4-year old but since father is not a member he is not available to assign as father of child and it did not automatically link the two. As a result, the records show the mother is married to a non-member husband but the new child of record (although now 4) doesn't have a father on record. When creating the new child record, it asked the father but since the father was a non-member it would not let me select/enter his name. Although this child is now a member and listed in the household, how do I tie the child to their non-member father (the father does show up in the household for the spouse and other children).
Although you could not select the father using the Select button when you created the record, you could have still typed the name of the father in without using the Select button. That button is only for convenience when the father (or mother) is a member of the unit, you don't have to use it.

At this point you can add the father by opening the child's record, clicking on the Parents tab on the left hand side, clicking on Edit in the upper right corner of the father's information and then type the father's name and birth date (leave the membership number blank since he is not a member). Do not use the Select button. Then close the child's record and click the Save button when asked.

Return to “Membership Help”