CES Fireside over internet instead of satellite

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dougj

CES Fireside over internet instead of satellite

Post by dougj »

We have a YSA ward in a building that has internet but not satellite. They usually attend CES firesides at the stake center to watch the satellite broadcast. I'd like to consider having them watch CES firesides in their own chapel via the internet broadcast. We have all the equipment needed, I believe, to both project the broadcast and connect to the sound system in the chapel. The path in the building would be: wifi to pc/mac in the chapel, pc/mac to projecter & sound system.

Does anyone know of anything that would prohibit them from watching via internet in the chapel of their own building? Is the internet broadcast AND local wifi trustworthy enough for this?

(I'm aware of the recent wifi outages/issues, so I'm asking in a long-term view and presume that the current issues will be resolved if they are not already resolved. So, think beyond the last couple of weeks, please.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: CES Fireside over internet instead of satellite

Post by lajackson »

dougj wrote:Does anyone know of anything that would prohibit them from watching via internet in the chapel of their own building? Is the internet broadcast AND local wifi trustworthy enough for this?
Nothing prohibits it. I would not consider WiFi dependable, however.

The building should have been hardwired to the clerks offices and to somewhere near the chapel pulpit. I have successfully streamed Firesides and the General Relief Society Meeting through the hardwired pulpit Internet access point.

I would also disable the WiFi during broadcast streaming, and make sure you have a powerful enough laptop to handle the stream.

If you do not have hardwire to the chapel, I think it would be worth running it from the firewall for future use.
dougj

Post by dougj »

Thanks. I'll check on the wired connection to the pulpit. That would be much better.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: a tangential discussion ensued at this point regarding hard wiring a network connection at the pulpit. Since that's a separate issue, it was split into a new topic at Hard wire to pulpit.]

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”