Photo Crop Constraint

Beta testing of the Local Unit Directory Application
failproof

Photo Crop Constraint

Post by failproof »

The Crop constraint appears to be a ratio of the original picture, but has it's limitations. I uploaded a landscape oriented picture with lots of blank space on the sides that I wanted to crop off, effectively turning it into a portrait oriented photo by cropping but not rotating. I didn't need to rotate it, it was already right side up. Unfortunately the crop constraint will not allow that, it will only allow a smaller ratio of the same picture dimensions in the same orientation. (I admit it's better than what we have on the release version, but still could require some pre-cropping before uploading.)
mevans

Re: Photo Crop Constraint

Post by mevans »

+1
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

That is my experience also.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

Thanks for The feedback.
I am guessing the Feature your asking for is "Create a Portrait Out of a Landscape Photo."
I will put this in our list when we review features to add.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jeffevannelson wrote:I am guessing the Feature your asking for is "Create a Portrait Out of a Landscape Photo."
I don't think that's the feature we're asking for. I think we want to choose our own aspect ratio for the crop, and if it isn't square, we may want to choose portrait or landscape.

Enforcing the aspect ratio of the current photo doesn't seem that useful to me.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mevans wrote:I think we want to choose our own aspect ratio for the crop, and if it isn't square, we may want to choose portrait or landscape.
That is more in line with what I am thinking.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Question: what about going with a standard crop ratio to give the directory some uniformity? The only thing is that you'd have to allow "empty space" if necessary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Question: what about going with a standard crop ratio to give the directory some uniformity? The only thing is that you'd have to allow "empty space" if necessary.
That would have to vary for different purposes; for example, individual photos work best at 1:1, and household photos are best at 4:3. But I like the idea -- a hodgepodge of aspect ratios makes for a rather tacky-looking printed photo directory, and bad choices on individual photo aspect ratios create thumbnails that sometimes contain only a sliver of a person's face.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:Question: what about going with a standard crop ratio to give the directory some uniformity? The only thing is that you'd have to allow "empty space" if necessary.
I agree with aebrown...that might be a good idea for uniformity in photos and directories. For example, LinkedIn forces you to have a square picture.

A standard crop for individual and family would get rid of the problem of sticking with the aspect ratio of the uploaded photo....make it the aspect ratio desired for LDS.org.

I guess the proper aspect ratio for family is debatable. I have cameras with different aspect ratios. However, if we can allow for empty space as russellhltn suggested, differing camera aspect ratios could be accommodated without cropping family members out of the picture.

Return to “Beta Directory”