PAF on Linux (or alternatives)

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
jp78

PAF on Linux (or alternatives)

Post by jp78 »

Let's get the ball rolling!

What are people using for genealogy on Linux?
Cyberjunkie-p40

Geneology on Linux

Post by Cyberjunkie-p40 »

The most used geneology program on Linux is Lifelines ( http://lifelines.sourceforge.net). It uses gedcom files for it's database, and you can write script for custom reports.

The next biggest application is GRAMPS ( http://gramps-project.org ).

There may be some others, but these are the two that I have found.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I've used GRAMPS quite a bit and rather like it. I have only 2 complaints about it:

1. If you attach an image to a record (say a census record or photograph) it saves the full path to the image instead of the relative path. Then if you move the database to another machine, all of the images fail to load.

2. The reports it creates don't look that great. The good news is that most of the reports can be output to OpenOffice documents so that you can change them.

Tom
ClarkeGJ

FamilySearch Desktop Project

Post by ClarkeGJ »

It is The Church's intent to create an Open Source project for a desktop genealogy record manager that is compatible with the New FamilySearch. We are now looking for a Lead Engineer on this project. If we do are work right, this should easily be portable to the Linux world.

Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet Manager
jkarras-p40

Don't forget Mac users

Post by jkarras-p40 »

gordon wrote:It is The Church's intent to create an Open Source project for a desktop genealogy record manager that is compatible with the New FamilySearch. We are now looking for a Lead Engineer on this project. If we do are work right, this should easily be portable to the Linux world.

Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet Manager
Thats great when doing it don't forget the Mac audience. I know of a few people that are looking to use parallel's (or similar tech) and Windows to run PAF because the new Intel macs don't support Classic mode anymore. Java would be an ok idea with me if you did native style installs. Eg. package windows in an installer and mac in a bundle...

Jonathan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to add what Gordon has said. PAF was a concept rooted in the pre-Internet days of when one stored one's information on the local hard drive (or even floppy!). But Genealogy is a collaborative effort. Individually, locally stored databases are a really poor data model for a collaborative work. The Church is working on a new FamilySearch site that will take things to the next level.
clarkkent93-p40

Post by clarkkent93-p40 »

jkarras wrote:Thats great when doing it don't forget the Mac audience. I know of a few people that are looking to use parallel's (or similar tech) and Windows to run PAF because the new Intel macs don't support Classic mode anymore. Java would be an ok idea with me if you did native style installs. Eg. package windows in an installer and mac in a bundle...

Jonathan
Is there even decent genealogy software for the Mac?
shoalcreek5

Post by shoalcreek5 »

Sure there is. See http://www.macgenealogy.org/
Brice
cmkilger

Reunion

Post by cmkilger »

clarkkent93 wrote:Is there even decent genealogy software for the Mac?
I really like Reunion 8. http://www.leisterpro.com

Does anyone know if PAF will run under wine?

Cory
gthornock-p40

Post by gthornock-p40 »

cmkilger wrote:IDoes anyone know if PAF will run under wine?
I've seen instructions for getting it to work, but I've never done it myself. As I recall, there were some DLLs that Wine didn't provide, or that the Wine versions didn't work, that had to be copied in from a real Windows installation.

Return to “Family History”