Publisher requests within my ward

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
thatvickigirl

Publisher requests within my ward

Post by thatvickigirl »

Hi. I am a website admin within in my ward. We have been working on actively using our newsletter since about October, but some areas are causing difficulties for our writers.

I have Mac and PC users both. Not everyone uses the latest software either. Getting things set up for everyone has been challenging since images can only be uploaded in Chrome. Are there any plans to extend this ability to other browsers in the works?

I've had numerous requests for text wrap and more flexibility in image placement also. Is there an upgrade in the word processing format in the works? Or is there a a way for a user to utilize something like a a custom css stylesheet to design how their entry will look on the newsletter?

I have also have had writers ask if it is possible to have an entry scheduler added to the newsletter. We ask our writers to submit their entry for the next month prior to the first so it is ready to be printed for members without internet access on the first. If those entries could be posted with the date of the first instead of the prior month, it would help our ward out a lot.

Thank you for your help.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Publisher requests within my ward

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: We know it is hard for new forum users to get accustomed to posting only one topic per thread, especially when reporting issues for a group of people. But in this case I think we can let this slide since some of the topics are addressed in other threads already.]
thatvickigirl wrote:I have Mac and PC users both. Not everyone uses the latest software either. Getting things set up for everyone has been challenging since images can only be uploaded in Chrome. Are there any plans to extend this ability to other browsers in the works?
I am able to upload images using Firefox and IE10 in addition to Chrome. I haven't checked Safari or Opera. If any effort is made to make IE8 compatible it may take some time. I personally would not expect it because of the extensive development effort needed to find hacks that will make a browser which does not support the industry standards work.
thatvickigirl wrote:I've had numerous requests for text wrap and more flexibility in image placement also.
The text wrap issue is discussed in the Better formatting options needed thread. The image issue was discussed in the Picture Capabilities thread when Newsletter was in beta.

These features are in the queue for future release updates. When that will happen is unknown.
thatvickigirl wrote:I have also have had writers ask if it is possible to have an entry scheduler added to the newsletter.
Something similar to this was discussed in the How do I change the date after I edit an article? thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
thatvickigirl

Re: Publisher requests within my ward

Post by thatvickigirl »

Thank you for your reply. I will make sure I break up my responses in the future.

I read through the thread on the date changes and it is not the same premise. What my writers are requesting is exactly what blogging sites like blogger currently already do. Scheduled new blog posts which are pre-written and saved prior to posting rather than reorganizing and ordering of older entries. It sounds like she is asking for a completely different programming issue. Something more along the lines of a tab structure system. I put mine in a new post because my issue is different.

Return to “Newsletter”