LDS.Org Will NOT Stay Signed/Logged In

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rcwso

LDS.Org Will NOT Stay Signed/Logged In

Post by rcwso »

Recently I have had a problem staying logged in to LDS.Org. I am using Safari as a browser.

I sign in at the top and begin searching and surfing the LDS.Org website. If I search for a topic or a conference talk or whatever once the search results come up I will now be logged out of LDS.Org. Not always but at times. Additionally, If I "right click" on any search result or link to a new section of LDS.Org to open in a new tab, the new tab with the new link always comes up with me logged out. At times I simply want to bookmark several talks or topics on the LDS.org site for my notes and journal study but I have to sign back in and then add the bookmark on EACH new tab.

Bottom line: as I am surfing and searching through LDS.Org I rarely stayed logged in throughout my experience. Especially when opening links in new tabs.

Is there a fix or something I am missing? This is very frustrating to have to log in each time I want to do something in a new tab.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: LDS.Org Will NOT Stay Signed/Logged In

Post by aebrown »

I'm quite confident that what you are experiencing is a result of accessing LDS.org using HTTP (rather than HTTPS) when you are signed in. Doing that will immediately sign you out. For more details, see the topic Accessing LDS.org via HTTP signs you out in most cases, and particularly this post.
rcwso

Post by rcwso »

When I initially sign in I am using the HTTPS site. Then when I right click and open in a new tab, the new tab opens in the HTTP site.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rcwso wrote:When I initially sign in I am using the HTTPS site. Then when I right click and open in a new tab, the new tab opens in the HTTP site.
The key is figuring out how you're opening the new tab. You say you "right click and open in a new tab." I assume you mean that you are right clicking on a link that appears on some web page and choosing to open it in a new tab. If that link is an HTTP link (rather than HTTPS), then you'll be signed out. It doesn't matter whether you simply left click on the link and stay in your current tab, or right click and go to a new tab -- it's the process of following a link to an HTTP page on LDS.org that causes the problem.

Links on most LDS.org pages will preserve the protocol, so for example if you are signed in to LDS.org and reading President Monson's talk Consider the Blessings, then at the end of the talk you expand "Show References" and follow a link to 2 Nephi 2:25, you'll stay in HTTPS and all will be well.

But there may be PDFs (see this topic for an example), or links on other sites, or links from search engines, or bookmarks you've saved, which might use HTTP to access LDS.org. Following any of those links will sign you out.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We were doing some quiet testing during the past week of some search stuff we have been working on. It is possible that one of our test pages wasn't preserving the https. The test is over and everyone should be going back to the standard search as we review the results.

If this does happen again, please provide us a link of the search results page, and then tell us which result was causing the problem. This will help us track down the issue.
richardjosephbailey

Post by richardjosephbailey »

Two items:

1. My account won't stay logged in for scriptures I open in new tabs, even if I am logged in on the first page (say the Topical Guide). Every scripture in a new https tab asks me to sign in (I have only three options for whatever I highlight - copy, share, or sign in). However, if I click the Sign In tab, it leads me to a page that says Forbidden. This happens in both Chrome and Edge. It makes studying really painful...

2. An improvement to the site might be a link or button on a page called 'problems on this page?' or something similar, where a user can click that link to submit an issue. It was very difficult to find this forum for those who haven't used it before.

Thanks for listening!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

richardjosephbailey wrote:My account won't stay logged in for scriptures I open in new tabs, even if I am logged in on the first page (say the Topical Guide).
Note that you're tagging onto a thread that's nearly 8 years old.

I'd suggest that you clear all cookies associated with churchofjesuschrist.org. I find church websites have problems dealing with old cookies. The problems can manifest in a number of random issues. As a quick test, you can use incognito mode.

richardjosephbailey wrote:2. An improvement to the site might be a link or button on a page called 'problems on this page?' or something similar, where a user can click that link to submit an issue. It was very difficult to find this forum for those who haven't used it before.
Most pages have a "Feedback" link. That's the official way to report problems, not the forum.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

richardjosephbailey wrote: 1. My account won't stay logged in for scriptures I open in new tabs, even if I am logged in on the first page (say the Topical Guide). Every scripture in a new https tab asks me to sign in (I have only three options for whatever I highlight - copy, share, or sign in). However, if I click the Sign In tab, it leads me to a page that says Forbidden. This happens in both Chrome and Edge. It makes studying really painful...
Somewhat recently I've been experiencing various pages where my authentication isn't carried over and I need to log in again. Sometimes all I have to do is hit the sign in button and it logs me in. Other times I have to enter my credentials yet again. It's pretty rare that I've received a Forbidden page or message, but quite possible that it's happened. The church appears to be working on changes to how they implement identity management, which may be a cause of the problems. russellhltn gave some good advice. Try that to see if it helps with your Forbidden problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:It's pretty rare that I've received a Forbidden page or message, but quite possible that it's happened.
I've seen that if I come back to a web session that's still open hours after I've done anything to it. The session timed out a long time ago but it's not gracefully handing resuming activity. Either it would need to automatically log me back in, or more likely, refer me to a login page. But it fails to do that and I'm stuck in a "Forbidden" loop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”