Dissolving a ward and MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
petersboro

Dissolving a ward and MLS

Post by petersboro »

In our District we have combined 2 branches (dissolving one of them) and changed some boundaries. I have received an urgent MLS message that I need to update these changes in MLS. Our District Presidency has submitted and received approval for the change so I believe all the paperwork is complete. The CDOL shows that the change has been made. All memberships have been moved to their new branches. What changes do I need to make in MLS at the district (stake) level so that it will show that the old branch has been dissolved?
Thanks

Okinawa Japan
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Dissolving a ward and MLS

Post by jdlessley »

petersboro wrote:What changes do I need to make in MLS at the district (stake) level so that it will show that the old branch has been dissolved?
There is nothing you need to do in MLS to show the branch has been discontinued. There are however steps to be taken in MLS as part of discontinuing the branch. You may want to review the information in Discontinuing a ward or branch. Not mentioned in that article is the need for the district to keep a copy of the final backup of the branch's MLS. This may come in handy for future requests from former branch members or for audit research. The final steps in discontinuing the branch will be taken by Church administration.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Dissolving a ward and MLS

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:You may want to review the information in Discontinuing a ward or branch.
I'd pay special attention to step 1: print tax forms. The combined unit can't do that for the members of the discontinued unit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”