Aironet 1200 still viable option for buildings?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mprusse

Aironet 1200 still viable option for buildings?

Post by mprusse »

My company is replacing their old Aironet 1200 WAPs and may consider donating them to me for use in our stake buildings. Are these still viable products for use with newer meetinghouse internet technologies or should I pass this up and wait for newer products?
parktw

Re: Aironet 1200 still viable option for buildings?

Post by parktw »

Great question! The short answer is they can be used. Here's the long answer.

They are still usable, even with the newer firewalls. They don't auto-configure like the 1041n's do, but they can be scripted by the Connectivity Team at the Global Service Center. They only have wireless G as opposed to wireless N, but I wouldn't worry too much about that from a speed standpoint because wireless G has a theoretical throughput of 54Mbps, and most buildings only have an average of 6Mbps or so, although some buildings are higher.

If you are choosing between nothing for now and the 1200's. If you have the option of the 1041n access points, I would get those as they are the latest the church has to offer.

Edit: One thing I may not have thought about is the firmware on them... If the firmware isn't compatible with the scripts we put on, then it may not work. But if you give us a call, we'll give it our best effort.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

My FMG has made no plans and has not indicated any future plans to replace our 1200's and we have 13 in 6 meetinghouses. We have moved up to the 881W's so that is a nice improvement, though I'm running in a mixed mode that I'm not real confident that the GSD can support very well. just my own past experience with them supporting them or getting them in place. As long as they are up and running they are good... if you ever have an issue with them, good luck.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

parktw wrote:Edit: One thing I may not have thought about is the firmware on them... If the firmware isn't compatible with the scripts we put on, then it may not work. But if you give us a call, we'll give it our best effort.
They have firmware 12.3(8)JA2
parktw

Post by parktw »

mprusse wrote:They have firmware 12.3(8)JA2
So just looking quickly in the lab, one of the one's we're working on is on 12.3(2)JA2, so not far off. I would definitely think it's worth giving a try. You were able to get into the web interface it sounds like?

The web interface is the easy way, so we can just upload the script in one piece. If not I'd still be willing to take a crack at it with telnet.
Last edited by parktw on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
parktw

Post by parktw »

JohnShaw wrote:We have moved up to the 881W's so that is a nice improvement, though I'm running in a mixed mode that I'm not real confident that the GSD can support very well.
I hear that, it's a little tough for us depending on the issue when we're working in a mixed mode. The hardest thing for us to deal with is when channels are clashing, because we aren't given control over the channel of the internal access point, and the 1200's are on a static channel.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”