Force Sync - Broken

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
nathanbullock

Force Sync - Broken

Post by nathanbullock »

Has any one else hit this problem?

LDS tools (android) occasionally asks me to re-sync, and when it does this it only gives me 3 tries before it forces me to do so. This is broken in my opinion. (I am wifi only).

Use case, (and this has happened multiple times), I am out driving around visiting people in the ward looking up phone numbers/addresses in lds tools and it decides now is the time to sync. I am switching back and forth between maps and lds tools. 10 minutes later I have done this 3 times and now I have lost all my lds tools info. You can't just ask 3 times even though there is no data connection. I haven't even had one chance to sync yet.

What is the point of lds tools working offline, if at some random point it will just decide to stop working offline?

Options:
- ask 3 times but before asking check for a data connection. Only decrement the count if you you can actually ping lds.org servers.
- make it 3 days or 3 times. This will mean they have 3 days to get a data connection or 3 tries (whichever is longer).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Force Sync - Broken

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, I've seen that as well. As a tip: You can "switch" between apps by pressing and holding the "home" button. When you release, you'll be given a list of apps running. That way you can switch back to LDS Tools without it counting against you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Re: Force Sync - Broken

Post by mfmohlma »

Number of days would make more sense. I haven't looked at the code, but that's probably how the trigger occurs in the first place, not based on the number of times you've used the app (or it would make me refresh every day ;)).

Check the sticky in this subforum for the email address to send in this enhancement/bug request. (ldstools-android@ldschurch.org)

Return to “Android Member Tools App”