MLS restore from backup issue

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mcg30916

MLS restore from backup issue

Post by mcg30916 »

I have MLS installed on a laptop with the intent to use it for leadership training on a projector for ward conferences. I had a ward bring a backup of their MLS on a flash drive. However the restore fails as my installation was done with our stake unit number and tells me the unit number is not the same. I tried uninstalling MLS including deleting the folder and subfolders it creates and then reinstalling. But the unit info is cached somewhere. Does anyone know how to clear this so that when I install and open it starts with no info and asks for the unit number?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS restore from backup issue

Post by russellhltn »

I think you would be better off having them bring the ward computer. Policy prohibits life MLS data from being loaded on personally-owned machine. There are a number of things that are locked after a restore that won't be cleared until a send/receive is done. (And that will create even more problems.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: MLS restore from backup issue

Post by jdlessley »

mcg30916 wrote:I have MLS installed on a laptop with the intent to use it for leadership training on a projector for ward conferences. I had a ward bring a backup of their MLS on a flash drive.
The Policy and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping, 18 Aug 2009, policy letter does not permit the installation of MLS with live data on personal computers. The only authorized installation of MLS on a personal computer is for training purposes using test data.

I am sure no one would intentionally disregard Church policy and therefore only use Church owned computers to install MLS with live data. With that Church policy noted I think we can continue.
mcg30916 wrote:[T]he restore fails as my installation was done with our stake unit number and tells me the unit number is not the same.
The unit must be added to that MLS installation before a restore can be accomplished. That is why the unit number was not recognized. To add a unit to an MLS installation see Adding additional units to MLS.

While the following information in this post is not necessary in solving the original problem I believe it may be useful to others.
mcg30916 wrote:I tried uninstalling MLS including deleting the folder and subfolders it creates and then reinstalling. But the unit info is cached somewhere.
You will note that during an uninstall there is a message that states the folders and files created after the install will not be deleted. Some of the folders and files created after install are the unit data folders and files. I am guessing you did not remove the unit data folders like you thought. The unit data folders are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data\units" for Windows XP and "C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data\units" for Windows 7 (note: "C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS" is a hidden folder).

Procedurally there is no need to uninstall MLS to add another unit to the installation. Just add the unit and then restore the backup. But when restoring backups for a unit already added to the MLS installation I have found that deleting that unit data folder, adding the unit in again, and then restoring from a backup is the simplest method of restoring a backup without locking the finance section of MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”