Wrong time between website and LDS Tools

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mbthomas

Wrong time between website and LDS Tools

Post by mbthomas »

A calendar administrator posted an event to a stake calendar. When I go to the calendar at lds.org it shows a start time of 4pm. When I access the calendar via the LDS Tools app on an iPad it shows a start time of 6pm (which is the correct start time). Why the difference? This same calendar administrator has rights to two different stake calendars. Some events in each calendar appear with the correct time in both locations (web/LDS Tools) and some events appear with a two hour time difference. If it's a time zone setting on a computer, why would it appear with the correct time in one location but not another?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Wrong time between website and LDS Tools

Post by lajackson »

mbthomas wrote:If it's a time zone setting on a computer, why would it appear with the correct time in one location but not another?
This is almost always a time setting on the computer, or a device that has moved to a different time zone (business/vacation travel, etc.) that is making the query.

The Calendar seems almost always to display the time of the event based on what time it thinks your local time is as you make the request.
mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

The laptop and the iPad that I'm viewing the calendar from are both on the Pacific Time Zone. It's only a few events that are doing this - not everything in the calendar. Do you mean that the user who created the events possibly created a few events on a computer that was set to a different time zone?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mbthomas wrote:The laptop and the iPad that I'm viewing the calendar from are both on the Pacific Time Zone. It's only a few events that are doing this - not everything in the calendar. Do you mean that the user who created the events possibly created a few events on a computer that was set to a different time zone?
One problem in the past has been that the time for an event on the Calendar gets converted from the time zone the computer shows to the local time zone. So if someone is traveling on the east coast and enters a time of 7:00 pm for a unit on the west coast, it will load in the Calendar at 4:00 pm.

But if the laptop and the iPad are truly set for the same time zone and time, Calendar items should display the same time. The only thing I think of that might be causing a problem is if the download to the iPad is not working properly.

Is one of them showing the correct time, or are they both wrong? If the laptop is correct, but the iPad is wrong, I would suspect that something is not being handled properly in the download, but I am quickly passing my ability to troubleshoot this one. Others may chime in, though, and there are some other topics (threads) in the Calendar forum that might help.
mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

One problem in the past has been that the time for an event on the Calendar gets converted from the time zone the computer shows to the local time zone. So if someone is traveling on the east coast and enters a time of 7:00 pm for a unit on the west coast, it will load in the Calendar at 4:00 pm.
That may be the issue as to why it has the wrong time in the first place. I don't know where the user was when she posted those events. It was during the holidays so she very well could have been out of town. I'll follow up with her to find out.

That still leaves me puzzled as to why those events would appear with one time via the web and a different time via LDS Tools.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mbthomas wrote:That still leaves me puzzled as to why those events would appear with one time via the web and a different time via LDS Tools.
That's a separate issue. I'd have to consider the calendar on lds.org as the "authoritative" copy of what's been entered.

Others have complained about events that appear at wrong times on the iOS LDS Tools.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”