LDS Tech IDE Windows Installer not working

Support and Announcements for the Tech Java Web Application Platform (setup, configuration, bugs, feedback).
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

Hello,
For linux (Fedora 15) it was the gtk64 version that I installed. I will have to reboot to check the lds-tech.ini file but basically left the default link to jdk during installation. I will definitely check. Fedora 15 should be 64 bit but now I am not sure. I will boot into Fedora 14 in which I know for sure is 64 bit and try to install the lds-tech-ide there. My thought is ./lds-tech should be a text script and not a binary file.
For windows there is the 1.6 version under the java directory so there is an old jdk around. Everything is linked to the 1.7.0 version (i.e. path, JDK_HOME, etc.) but that does not mean it is not still in the registry. Output is as follows: java version "1.7.0-ea" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-ea-127) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-bit Server VM (build 20.0-b06, mixed mode) The ea is for "early access" I believe since it is for developers.

Thank You,
Micah
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

This is the output on linux:
java version "1.6.0_22"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.10.3) (fedora-59.1.10.3.fc15-i386)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

from the lds-ide.ini file:
-vm
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/bin/java
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
384m
-vmargs
-XX:NewRatio=2
-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=10
-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=20
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
-Xms128m
-Xmx768m
-XX:-DoEscapeAnalysis

I tried opening lds-tech with gedit and it is definitely a binary file. I tried to copy the eclipse file to the ldstech directory and ran it and it said could not find eclipse companion shared library. :) The eclipse file under linux is definitely a binary file. So lds-tech being a text script is not correct. Neither one of those files is directly telling me about being 64 bit. The only thing to do now I guess is to try the 32 bit lds-tech-ide.

Thank You,
Micah
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

Hello,
I installed the 32 bit version and it worked, sort of. You will notice that linux is using the OpenJDK Runtime Environment instead of the oracle/sun jdk. For your information here is the error:

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x02ce9db7, pid=17196, tid=3078122352
#
# JRE version: 6.0_22-b22
# Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (20.0-b11 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Derivative: IcedTea6 1.10.3
# Distribution: Fedora release 15 (Lovelock), package fedora-59.1.10.3.fc15-i386
# Problematic frame:
# C [libxul.so+0xcbbdb7] NS_InvokeByIndex_P+0x6eab
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/micahk/LDSTech2/eclipse/hs_err_pid17196.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
# instructions how to reproduce the bug and visit:
# http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla
#

That would close the issue with linux because of the wrong jdk and wrong bit version. However, it should be noted that Fedora 15 is running under Windows 7 with the vmware player. The vmware player is a virtual machine and allows me to run linux without leaving windows. You reminded me of this when you used oracle virtual machine to run the oracle's database. I thought it would of been 64-bit but apparently not. I am running Windows 7 64-bit so it is interesting to run 32-bit linux under 64-bit windows. I do have Fedora 14 installed on a hard drive and know it is 64-bit and have been using it for everything linux.

Back to the Windows installers.

Thank You,
Micah
YoungstromMJ

Post by YoungstromMJ »

Is it possible to install Open JDK 1.7 in fedora? I would be interested in knowing if that one crashes eclipse too.

In windows is there a java.exe or javaw.exe file in your c:\windows\system32 directory? If so try executing java -version on it and send the output.

Mike
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

Hello,
There is three java files under windows system: java.exe, javaw.exe, and javaws.exe. Using c:\windows\system32\java -version from the command line gave the original output:
java version "1.7.0-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-ea-127)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-bit Server VM (build 20.0-b06, mixed mode)

I will check on the other linux jdk's.

Micah
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

All issues are fixed. I uninstalled all versions of java under windows and then reinstalled the newly released version of 1.7.0 (i.e. released 7-28-2011) and javafx 2.0 beta. The lds-tech-ide is installing as I post this. As far as linux is concerned the open jdk does run eclipse 3.6. I have not seen an upgrade for fedora open jdk 1.7.0 or eclipse 3.7 for fedora yet. The directions said to use yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk which did not work. It did not say anything about adding a particular repo so I am assuming the fedora ones were supposed to work. Thank You for your help.

Thank You,
Micah
YoungstromMJ

Post by YoungstromMJ »

Great! Just post in this forum if you have any other java related questions.

Mike
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

Even though I was given the lds tech site locations it is a lot better to get the lds tech ide installed. I tried installing in my regular eclipse program and there were a lot plugins that could not be installed. Maybe due to other dependancies? So, the moral of the story is if you want to save yourself some time use the available downloads of the lds tech ide. If you have any problems getting them to work then go through the earlier posts and get the installations to work or post. I applaud the team that put that together. I am sure that take a lot of effort to put that together.

Thank You,
Micah
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

Hello,
I discovered something interesting about java and my browser. I am using firefox. I did have java version 6 installed on my computer with java version 7 and the ldstech ide would not install. So I deleted java version 6 from my computer and was able to install the ide. However, since I deleted version 6 from my computer java no longer worked in the firefox browser. I confirmed this a second ago when I went to a site that had java embedded and it told me I needed a java plugin. So I installed the plugin. I checked my addons in the brower and there is a version 6 plugin listed but no version 7. I started the ldstech ide and it seemed to run fine. If you tell someone to remove the older versions of java to get the ide installed that works but they may need to reinstall java 6 to get java enabled in there browser, esp. firefox. I do not know if internet explorer was effected. If they install the plugin that it does not seem to disable the ldstech ide. Hope this helps someone.

Thank You,
Micah

Return to “Java Web Project Support (Stack)”