Using another IDE for Stack Projects

Support and Announcements for the Tech Java Web Application Platform (setup, configuration, bugs, feedback).
christopherchapman

Using another IDE for Stack Projects

Post by christopherchapman »

This is from an email between Neal Midgley and the Church Timeline Project team:
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to run the app, but I am getting the attached errors. Any ideas?

Also, I've noticed building these m2 LDS stack apps fails in any IDE other
than the one provided for the community. Has anyone had any success getting
the app to build from the command line? We're using embedded Maven, too,
which ought to work with other IDEs supporting embedded Maven, right? I'm
specifically using NetBeans/embedded Maven and the command line, both of
which epically fail.

Thanks for any tips!
timelines-error.txt.zip
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
christopherchapman

Post by christopherchapman »

Neal,

I have had some problems with the m2eclipse plugin and generic Eclipse . I haven't tried it on NetBeans, but it sounds like it is not copying all the dependencies to the server instance. In this case it seems to be missing one of the CXF jars (from stack-rs module). Check your web/target/timelines-web-1.0/WEB-INF/lib and make sure that it is copying everything to wherever NetBeans published to Tomcat.

Another problem that I have run into in using another IDE is with the Tomcat configuration and JNDI. You may have to set up a specific Tomcat development environment using the stack-tomcat-deploy maven plugin (in the timelines-deploy project):

Code: Select all

mvn stack-tomcat-deploy:config -DtomcatEnv=dev
This will set up a Tomcat instance in timelines-deploy/target/tomcat. You can use this instance in your IDE to run the application.

The other alternative is to use the Stack IDE, which does the Tomcat configuration automatically. :)

I am probably missing something, though
midgleyne-p40

Post by midgleyne-p40 »

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll have to try those when using NetBeans.

The errors I'm getting and have included are when using the LDSTech Eclipse IDE, though...
YoungstromMJ

Post by YoungstromMJ »

FYI, here are some instructions on getting a LDSTech java app working in intellij. We don't yet have one for NetBeans though the basic concept should be about the same.
midgleyne wrote:The errors I'm getting and have included are when using the LDSTech Eclipse IDE, though...
What error are you getting? I couldn't find an error in the posts above. The link Chris posted above appears to be the project zipped up??? Can you post the error again?

Thanks,
Mike
midgleyne-p40

Post by midgleyne-p40 »

The error is attached in this thread's first message, but here's the link in the event you don't see it:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/attachment.ph ... 1270929154
YoungstromMJ

Post by YoungstromMJ »

midgleyne wrote:The error is attached in this thread's first message, but here's the link in the event you don't see it:
Right, sorry I'm blind. :)

Anyway, just to make sure there wasn't a problem I checked out the project and it worked fine for me. So now we start the process of debugging.

1. Does your eclipse show any errors?

2. Try selecting Project->clean. Then when that finishes: right click on the server->clean. Try starting the server any luck?

3. Try right clicking on the project->maven->update project configuration. Does that show any errors? If not try #2 again.

Do any of those help?

Mike

Return to “Java Web Project Support (Stack)”