Amazon Echo - Project

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.

Amazon Echo - Project

Postby steckdev » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I have created an Amazon Alexa skill that I would like everyone to be use of and vote if you get a chance. I have wanted to expand it to use the new API available to read audio. It would be really beneficial if someone from LDS Tech could reach out to me with official API's that are available that I can reference. Currently I am using an older project that was still available that I use but isn't anywhere near official. If anyone has experience with Node.JS, Datatbase (DynamoDB) or Alexa and would like to contribute please PM me and we can get this with some momentum. However at the time I'm looking to move homes so this might the attention it needs right now. But once things get settled in I should get some more time. I live in Draper and i'm open to meeting at a church to work on a project like this on Sundays.

[X] Text to speech scriptures
    [ ] Conference Talks
    [ ] BYU Speeches
    [ ] Gospel Library Material ... ader/38305

New Alexa API ... exa-Skills

Amazon Echo Tap Dot Scriptures Text to Speech Blind

Re: Amazon Echo - Project

Postby bballrob » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:27 pm

How many people actually use the Amazon Echo?

Postby ldssmudge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 pm

I use it, & it's getting bigger & bigger all the time. They are selling out of them every month.

Postby thattolleyguy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm interested. Are you planning on streaming MP3s or using Alexa text-to-voice to generate the audio? I just put in a license request with the church to get permission to use their content and I've been pursuing getting access to the internal API over https for streaming audio. I'll let you know if I make any progress on it!

Postby mweaver » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi @steckdev and @thattolleyguy - have either of you made any progress on an Alexa skill that can stream from the church's audio library?

I am new to Alexa skill development, but I have a lot of development experience in general. I am interested in helping with the development, if you are looking for assistance. Either way, I am interested in hearing how it goes.

Return to “General Media Discussions”