Viewing face 2 face with Elder Rasband delayed by one hour from live

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
kurtps

Viewing face 2 face with Elder Rasband delayed by one hour from live

Post by kurtps »

Could anyone let me know if the face 2 face events can be shown/viewed immediately after the live broadcast (referring to the Elder Rasband face 2 face event on Jan. 20 2016). Our youth want to view it for a mutual activity on the day it will be broadcast, but we need to show it with an hour or so time difference (it starts live at 6pm our time zone and we want to show it at 7:15 or 7:30pm). Is it possible to do this? Will the event be up recorded and available on the Mormon Channel or lds.org page (or youtube page) that quickly following the live broadcast? Thanks for any help that can be offered. Thanks, Kurt
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Viewing face 2 face with Elder Rasband delayed by one hour from live

Post by russellhltn »

Absent an authoritative answer, I wouldn't count on it. I suggest you plan on recording it locally.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kurtps

Post by kurtps »

I saw on another thread that one of the previous face 2 face events was also broadcast via the church satellite system. If that is the case, we could record it in the building, then show it immediately after the live broadcast concludes. How would one record it if it is just broadcast online (and not via satellite)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kurtps wrote:I saw on another thread that one of the previous face 2 face events was also broadcast via the church satellite system. If that is the case, we could record it in the building, then show it immediately after the live broadcast concludes.
Yes, and in each of those cases, there was little to no notice that it would be on the satellite.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kurtps

Post by kurtps »

Any ideas on how to record it from lds.org or from mormon channel? Thanks!
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

You should be able to just pause the live playback and start it when you need it.
kurtps

Post by kurtps »

Thanks to you both. I will try that idea out and see how it works with my laptop, and a projector as we plan to do this in a couple of weeks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mfmohlma wrote:You should be able to just pause the live playback and start it when you need it.
In my experience, this is risky. One hour is a long time to pause, and if the Internet hiccups and you need to reconnect, you will have trouble getting back to the beginning.

I have also found that when they take down the live feed after the program, the delayed streaming also stops. Sometimes this is a few minutes after the live stream, and sometimes it is longer. But I have never known it to be an hour.

There are programs that will record an Internet stream. VLC is one of them. But I have never actually tried to do it. Others have.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I have also found that when they take down the live feed after the program, the delayed streaming also stops. Sometimes this is a few minutes after the live stream, and sometimes it is longer. But I have never known it to be an hour.
That's what I'd expect as well.

I know VLC can record streaming events, I've used it for a radio program, but have never done it for a video. It is fussy enough that you'll want some practice runs before relying on it.

Return to “General Media Discussions”