Bible Videos

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Bible Videos

Post by lajackson »

I am having trouble with the latest Bible video, The Good Shepherd and Other Sheep I Have. Normally I can just download the video and play it on my local computer. But I have downloaded this one several times, and it plays back with very noticeable and colorful pixel problems, and stutters.

I went back to the website and tried to play it directly from there, but it stops and stutters in the same places the pixels show up in the downloaded version. I do not have this problem with any of the other Bible videos.

I tried Feedback and got a response that the video plays just fine, and perhaps it does on a more powerful machine. But I have always been able, before now, to download the video and play it just fine.

This one is different. It behaves differently in QuickTime and, even though I downloaded it three different times on two different days, it pixels and stutters in exactly the same places each time. I really sense that something is different about this particular file.

Any thoughts? Feedback said the folks here at the Forum are the experts, and all sorts of other kind things. [grin]

Thanks.
gregwanderson

Re: Bible Videos

Post by gregwanderson »

I downloaded the 1080p version of that video, copied it to a flash drive and tried playing in my Blu-ray player. It caused the Blu-ray player to freeze itself (before the video even started) and become completely non-responsive (I couldn't even turn the thing off without pulling the AC power cord from the plug). So this video file is most definitely unwelcome and "not cool" in my home theatre.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:I am having trouble with the latest Bible video, The Good Shepherd and Other Sheep I Have. Normally I can just download the video and play it on my local computer. But I have downloaded this one several times, and it plays back with very noticeable and colorful pixel problems, and stutters.
I downloaded the video a few minutes ago and played it all the way through w/o any trouble. I used the VLC media player on a Win7 machine.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:I downloaded the video a few minutes ago and played it all the way through w/o any trouble. I used the VLC media player on a Win7 machine.
I will try VLC this evening. I was using QuickTime. Running WinXP Pro.

Maybe it is just because I am old, er, rather, my machine is ancient of days in computing years.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:
techgy wrote:I downloaded the video a few minutes ago and played it all the way through w/o any trouble. I used the VLC media player on a Win7 machine.
I will try VLC this evening. I was using QuickTime. Running WinXP Pro.

Maybe it is just because I am old, er, rather, my machine is ancient of days in computing years.
I also tried viewing it on my Android tablet with no trouble. I'll try an older machine later today.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It sounds like the file may be corrupt, but VLC simply ignores the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

For showing Bible Videos at Church, the 720p versions of the files seem to be sufficient. I realize that the 1080p is much better (HD?) but the files are also exponentially bigger and more difficult to download for those of us blessed with lesser bandwidth. And the 360p files are visibly a little more grainy when viewed on a laptop, and especially on the chapel screen.

That said, my question is how does a 360p or a 720p file compare to a 1000k or 1500k file? Is there a resolution comparison? I'm not speaking of file size here, rather that the earlier Bible Videos had the "k" in their file names rather that the later "p" with which I am more familiar.

The 1500k files have better resolution. Are they comparable to a 720p file?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll take a wild guess that "k" refers to kilobit per second. It would be a function of the compression level. Higher resolution results in higher kps, but there is so solid connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Media Discussions”