Mormon.Org Media Initiative Thumb/Flash Drives - videos not automatically embedded

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
nathangg

Mormon.Org Media Initiative Thumb/Flash Drives - videos not automatically embedded

Post by nathangg »

I live in a city where the Church is going to increase its media presence through advertising (commercials, billboards, radio ads, etc) and I was given a thumb drive with a PowerPoint presentation on it (.ppt) and a bunch of .wmv and .mov files. The thumb drives were originally handed out at a meeting in one of the local buildings attended by area authorities and one or two Seventies.

I did not attend the original presentation/meeting, but I was told the thumb drive was a copy of what was presented and "it should show the videos as part of the presentation without having to modify it". (The videos are video portraits from mormon.org and also some of the TV ads)

Upon investigation, it turns out that there are NO videos in the .ppt file and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

I don't mind adding the videos in to the slides and "wiring" everything up... but I didn't want to over step what I was asked to do... or spend a bunch of time finagling this powerpoint presentation when perhaps we got the wrong thing?

I also noticed that the thumb drive has a lot of ._.DS_Store and . files on it so I'm going to try opening it on my Mac when I get home... maybe I just need to open it on a Mac instead of my Windows machine?

Thanks~!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathangg wrote:Upon investigation, it turns out that there are NO videos in the .ppt file and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

A couple of wild guesses: Do you know what version of Power Point was used to create the file? It seems to me things like embedded files are delicate and prone to failure. It may be nothing more then being on a different drive letter.

If you're using 2007 or later, there may be Security that prevent PPT from running any files. Are you getting any security warnings when you open the file?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

I know your question seem more focussed on the technicalities of PowerPoint, but for what it's worth, the TV ads can be viewed online.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Digital Media”