Download Mormon Messages to DVD

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Download Mormon Messages to DVD

Post by russellhltn »

I just got asked by my Stake President to download 4 "Mormon Messages from YouTube that he wants to show at Stake PH on Sunday.

I know this is possible, and I'm sure I can figure out something, but I'm looking for advice on a good way to do it. By "good way" something easy for me and gives good quality for the big screen.

One option might be to download it via the iTunes store and put it on my G4 iPod. I'd have to buy a video cable for it, but that's do-able.

Using a laptop for the presentation seems a bit clunky. (Especially my aging laptop).

Other recipes for success?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

RussellHltn wrote:I just got asked by my Stake President to download 4 "Mormon Messages from YouTube that he wants to show at Stake PH on Sunday.

I know this is possible, and I'm sure I can figure out something, but I'm looking for advice on a good way to do it. By "good way" something easy for me and gives good quality for the big screen.

One option might be to download it via the iTunes store and put it on my G4 iPod. I'd have to buy a video cable for it, but that's do-able.

Using a laptop for the presentation seems a bit clunky. (Especially my aging laptop).

Other recipes for success?
The best tool I've found is Easy YouTube Video Downloader. It's a web browser add-on with versions for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari. After the add-on is installed, when you browse to a YouTube video, the add-on embeds a control below the video player that lets you choose the format to which you would like the video downloaded.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

danpass wrote:The best tool I've found is Easy YouTube Video Downloader. It's a web browser add-on with versions for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari. After the add-on is installed, when you browse to a YouTube video, the add-on embeds a control below the video player that lets you choose the format you would like the video downloaded to.

I have used the same program multiple times to make DVD's. Works great and it's free.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:The best tool I've found is Easy YouTube Video Downloader. It's a web browser add-on with versions for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari.

Unfortunatly nothing for IE8. I hate to have to install another browser just to do this.

The iTunes store approch seems promising, except I can't find 3 of the 4 requested videos: Inviting all to come unto Christ, Let every man know his duty: Aaronic Priesthood, and Seeking what's good:Youth song.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

All of the videos you mention are available for download from the Youth Site at https://lds.org/youth/video/youth-theme ... e?lang=eng
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RussellJD wrote:All of the videos you mention are available for download from the Youth Site at https://lds.org/youth/video/youth-theme ... e?lang=eng

Thanks! Hopefully they find their way to the iTunes store too. I'd hate for members to have to find their content in multiple places.

Also, is there a reason the mp4 files are zipped? It seems to add an extra step with doing much about the file size.

russelljd

Post by russelljd »

RussellHltn wrote:Also, is there a reason the mp4 files are zipped?
They're currently zipped because that is currently the only way we can force a download. If it is just left as an MP4 QuickTime will start playing it in a new tab/window instead of letting the browser actually download it. It's not the most elegant solution, but there are some technical difficulties that arise when trying to force a download on a file with a .mp4 extension.
heyring

Post by heyring »

I don't know if there are issues with posting links to solutions that are not free, but I have been using $39.99 program called "Real Player Plus". It allows a popup when viewing any online video which will download the video to a video library. You can then go into the application and create a playlist of hte desired videos and has a built in tool for creating DVD's with menus and such. http://www.real.com/realplayer/player-plus
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

RussellHltn wrote:One option might be to download it via the iTunes store and put it on my G4 iPod. I'd have to buy a video cable for it, but that's do-able.
Good option and all the videos are high quality. Deseret Book is also selling a DVD of Mormon Messages.
markbarber21

Mormon Messages available on iTunes

Post by markbarber21 »

Mormon Messages are now available on iTunes
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =387765554

Return to “Digital Media”