eBooks + eReaders, What do you use and why?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

JamesAnderson wrote:The mobile device space, of which the eReaders such as Kindle, or the smartphones, is changing very rapidly, and so it was likely thought best to start with the iPhone, etc.
I understand where the Kindle, Nook, and other dedicated e-readers may be changing rapidly, but I'm not sure why Windows Mobile and Blackberry seemed to be overlooked as potential first candidates. Those platforms have been around for a good long time and while their future products may be in planning, I don't think it's any less predictable or manageable than the iPhone platform. There is a good base of business users and a significant amount of comments on this forum and elsewhere of the headaches had by Church members seeking Church materials on their non-iPhone smartphones and the difficulties of using the archaic resources on LDS.org.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

kgthunder wrote:I understand where the Kindle, Nook, and other dedicated e-readers may be changing rapidly, but I'm not sure why Windows Mobile and Blackberry seemed to be overlooked as potential first candidates.
It could just be a lack of applicable experience among Church development resources (and even volunteers) developing on these platforms that holds projects back.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:It could just be a lack of applicable experience among Church development resources (and even volunteers) developing on these platforms that holds projects back.
I think this is all "community" development. One issue with that is that the community will create what they are interested in. I'm sure there's a number of factors that can dictate "interest", such as what platform they own, their programing experience in a given platform, the ease of development on that platform (I've heard that some are rather painful), the cost of development tools (they're not going to us company resources), etc.

Added to that is the perception that Apple and Android have a strong future. RIM, Palm and Windows mobile are lagging and the market is not likely to support 5 different ecosystems.

The only thing I can suggest for those who want to see more development in their platform is to find or become a developer. I'm not sure as it's realistic to ask "the church" to fill in where the community efforts fail.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:I think this is all "community" development.
You're right about everything you said. There is only one comment I have about this one statement you made. I got the impression that the iPhone apps started just a bit before community development really got going. I assumed there was a bit more Church employee involvement with the iPhone projects and maybe even a little bit in-house experience on that particular platform.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thanks. But in revisiting this thread, it seems to have gotten a bit off-track. :o

Hopefully we can get this back on-topic: "eBooks + eReaders, What do you use and why?"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hedrick-p40

eReaders at BYU Education Week

Post by Hedrick-p40 »

We'll be at Education Week at BYU (August 16-20) and have our Mormon Channel booth set up. We will be showcasing a lot of new products and future products on TV, Social Media, eReaders and Audiobooks. We'll also be holding a focus group on Wednesday to discuss web-enabled TV and reader devices. Swing by our Mormon Channel booth and we would love to hear your thoughts and feedback!
Hedrick-p40

eBook Update

Post by Hedrick-p40 »

We're in the process of making available The Book of Mormon, Bible and October 2010 Conference in epub format. We're currently exploring different publication channels to decide on where our ebooks will be distributed from. The triple combination ebook is coming soon as well as other LDS manuals.

As always, we're interested in your feedback to see which distribution channels to move in to. Whether you are on a Nook or use the Kindle app for your iPod Touch, we want to make sure that you have access to our content.
christem

Sony digital pocket reader??

Post by christem »

Hedrick-p40 wrote:We're in the process of making available The Book of Mormon, Bible and October 2010 Conference in epub format. We're currently exploring different publication channels to decide on where our ebooks will be distributed from. The triple combination ebook is coming soon as well as other LDS manuals.

As always, we're interested in your feedback to see which distribution channels to move in to. Whether you are on a Nook or use the Kindle app for your iPod Touch, we want to make sure that you have access to our content.

I am researching what ereader to get and I like the Sony digital pocket reader but want to make sure there will be a good triple combo available for that reader. Thanks!
sportstats

Post by sportstats »

I would love to see more of the manuals available in ebook format. I use a sony ereader, to be able to carry all of my materials around with me helps so much.
Is handbook 2 available somewhere?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

sportstats wrote:I would love to see more of the manuals available in ebook format. I use a sony ereader, to be able to carry all of my materials around with me helps so much.
Is handbook 2 available somewhere?
I see it's available for the YanCEyware reader HERE, so it's possible you might find it available in other formats before long.

Return to “Digital Media”