Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
klingler

Questions....

Post by klingler »

Well, I've read every post here and decided it's time to post my question. I have been asked by our stake presidency to try to figure out how to stream our local stake webcasts to our building through our Roku. I went ahead and downloaded the SDK and configured what I could without actually testing the feed (not sure what the "streamformat" should be yet).

JonesRC -
You mentioned, "We have also been doing some testing on streaming local live events by having the ability to enter in your generated URL into the Roku Box. We have been successful in getting this to work on Roku and are working and discussing possible options with the IT team." - is this something I can test? Our Stake Conference will take place next month and I'm hoping to have it ready by then.

If copying what you have already tested isn't possible, can I get some feedback on appropriate configuration that I've already started?

Thank you all so much for the great content here!

John
fmladineo

Post by fmladineo »

I recently got a Boxee Box and would like to see official Church/BYU apps for it. I know there is the unofficial Mormon Channel app and I can sorta get to BYU.TV via the Boxee Browser, however, it doesn't compare with what is now offered on Roku. Any developers out there working on this?
kennethjorgensen wrote:I like Boxee because it supports so many different formats, looks good, supports multiple platforms and will now be sold as a "box" in addition to just being software.

BUT the whole market is yet to take off and currently they are so many different products out there and no clear leader so it is questionable whether the church would priorities any. I think it is more likely that a church member would write an add-on wrapper for each of these players as long as the church make the clips available via RSS/XML files.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

fmladineo wrote:I recently got a Boxee Box and would like to see official Church/BYU apps for it.
We actually have the channel designed but dealing with the single stream issue. We provide adaptive streaming which the Boxee does not currently support. We are searching and working on a solution that will allow us to release the channel.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

klingler wrote:I have been asked by our stake presidency to try to figure out how to stream our local stake webcasts to our building through our Roku. I went ahead and downloaded the SDK and configured what I could without actually testing the feed (not sure what the "streamformat" should be yet).
The current communicator boxes in the Ward House provide a WMV file which the Roku does not support. We have created and tested the ability to enter a URL into the Roku Box with success but you must have the appropriate HLS h.264 video format.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRC wrote:The current communicator boxes in the Ward House provide a WMV file which the Roku does not support. We have created and tested the ability to enter a URL into the Roku Box with success but you must have the appropriate HLS h.264 video format.

The Western Digital TV Live supports WMV9. The WD was previously suggested as a solution for units that needed to download then show a event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rgme

Post by rgme »

JonesRC wrote:The current communicator boxes in the Ward House provide a WMV file which the Roku does not support. We have created and tested the ability to enter a URL into the Roku Box with success but you must have the appropriate HLS h.264 video format.

Will this be an option in the future? (any timeline?) I just watched the LDSTech Conference session that had a lot of discussion re: Roku boxes. I'm fairly persuaded by the ease of getting a cheap box instead of pulling out the clerk computer to receive a webcast.
pantherjad

Western Digital TV Live or Flingo?

Post by pantherjad »

RussellHltn wrote:The Western Digital TV Live supports WMV9. The WD was previously suggested as a solution for units that needed to download then show a event.

I also use a Western Digital TV Live streaming player (WDTV) and it now also supports flingo which seems to be fashioned as an open-source solution for sending a variety of online media to various streaming players. Any chance the LDS flash-based videos (move player?) on the website, including live streaming conference could be made compatible with at least flingo or as a new app for the WDTV? Or at least stream live on You Tube since flingo is already compatible with You Tube videos.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

rgme wrote:Will this be an option in the future? (any timeline?) I just watched the LDSTech Conference session that had a lot of discussion re: Roku boxes. I'm fairly persuaded by the ease of getting a cheap box instead of pulling out the clerk computer to receive a webcast.
The Roku Box is an approved solution for VOD but discussions are still ongoing in regards to it being a decoder box for the communicator.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

JonesRC,

Will you provide more details around the Roku and VOD (I'm assuming this is Video On Demand) - Are you still thinking about PLEX, weekly synchronization of video, etc...?
hartwigrobert

media stream

Post by hartwigrobert »

I found a way to play General Conference on my xbox 360 by streaming it through TVersity if anybody wants to know.
Install TVersity, go to library, add item, type: internet video

The video url you need to copy and paste from the link on the lds.org windows media icon on https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng (right click to copy link address or shortcut)

My link was : mms://a1119.l12520051118.c125200.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1119/125200/v0001/reflector:51118

Then hit the Submit button.

Then on your Xbox, browse the XBOX video player, find tversity, all, then find the name of your video stream you labeled in TVersity.
This should work on any network media player that uses UPNP, like Boxee Box, Google TV, PS3, etc.

Return to “Digital Media”