Is DVD dying?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Culture Video Viewing Habits

Post by JonesRC »

Another aspect that usually isn't considered is how we watch video. Their is nothing better then sitting in your family room watching a, fairly high quality, outside BD, video on your big screen, large plasma, or projected screen via a DVD in a player. Until high bandwidth becomes more affordable, VOD becomes more common place, and tools allow easier accessibility to HIGH bandwidth video content nothing beats kicking back in your own living room with some popcorn, family laying around, an easy chair, a 5.1 surround sound system, and a 1$ DVD from Redbox.
jvoracek

Post by jvoracek »

Blu-Ray may one day become a standard, as the DVD did with VHS. However, DVDs are much simpler to work with as far as codecs with video and audio. It is much more difficult to work with Blu-Ray discs, therefore until the software becomes more simple to use and cheapter to produce, DVD will be present for quite some time.
Jace Voracek
Jace@Jace-Place.com
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

A coworker recently studied the DVD industry & shared his findings with me. The DVD market has been steady in spite of the economy because people prefer seek opportunities to escape during economic downturns and today people watch movies. Manufacturing is increasingly offshore, but US DVD stamper manufacturers & DVD manufacturers are continuing to do well. Manufacturers have not wholesale shifted to blu-ray manufacturing yet. That may relate more to the current lending circumstances than to the desirability of blu-ray to the end users. The manufacturing process differs, which requires capital.
rdlloyd-p40

Post by rdlloyd-p40 »

I don't think we are going to see the "disappearance" of DVD like we did with VHS. There are probably a lot of reasons for this. I think one of the reasons we saw VHS go away is simply because of all of the amazing advantages that DVD had over VHS: interactivity, ability for multiple languages, quality does not diminish with age etc... The main difference that BluRay or HD has over DVD is simply quality and capacity. These improvements are not nearly as substantial as the improvements we saw in the jump from VHS to DVD.
carljokl

Blu-Ray

Post by carljokl »

I think Blu-Ray offers some interesting opportunities. From my work on the JavaME Gospel Library I am interested in trying to have the same application also work with BD-J, the Java platform which is embedded in the Blu-Ray player. BD-J is under the JavaME umbrella just as is MIDP which I am targeting for mobile phones.

If successful it could mean that for example a Blu-Ray disc for Sunday School could have the teacher and student manuals embedded into it along with scriptures and related conference talks.

For General Conference the Scriptures again would be able to be embedded along with transcripts of the conference in many languages.

I think the technology is perfectly capable of making this work today. In the mean time I have to get the Gospel Library up and running on mobile phones before worrying about Blu-Ray.

In the USA there is also a system available called ''True Two Way" as I understand it. These "True Two Way" set top boxes also have embedded Java which works much the same as BD-J. I don't know if the Church or Church members are involved with running the cable companies in Utah. If so such applications can be distributed through the cable networks as well.

In the UK we don't have "True Two Way" (Though certainly interactive TV and TV On-Demand exist but it isn't a standardised system like "True Two Way") but the technology may start going international if it get popular in the USA.
There are no problems, only solutions.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

There is a lot of action even in the US regarding the set-top box issue, so we're not even near what will be the final outcome there, especially with those that do movie rentals, game delivery via the net and even the net itself, and other technologies that are just beginning to show up. In fact, they expect to sell 11 million TVs that will be Internet-ready next year alone, they'll sell somewhat less than that this year because many models will be released later this year.

That won't completely take away the need for DVD or even Blu-Ray, or a couple other things though.

But for the 'net, in the US there is an FCC proceeding aimed at making things more available on more devices, especially video content but that could well include audio and other media as well. Also there are already devices that along with smartphones and PCs including laptops, netbooks, and tablets like the iPad, will handle video and audio. And some hardware manufacturers are including Internet audio services in their in-dash units as well.

We will still need DVD for many applications, including some managed content within the Church, but many common general membership things can be done both ways, although eventually the web will be a larger way than DVD. The other reason we'll still use DVD is in areas where the Internet is not as prevalent or as easily available like in developed countries.

And I would note one other thing appears to be dying out that we may not be thinking of either, and the iPod has been the reason, 'bookshelf stereos', sometimes referred to as 'box stereos' or other names, are also starting to disappear. A recent survey I did of six Walmarts shows they are either gone or very few models are left compared to just last year. The replacement is iPod docks, and similar things. The truth is, home theater, iPods, etc., are changing the way we listen to and store music, or view video, or even using the net.

Digital is a 'game changer', and in the develpod world it has already brought about some things we need to be thinking of in as little as the next year or two, other things will change over time as well.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

The DVD Ownership Era seems all but over

Post by JonesRC »

Interesting article on DVD ownership and trends that could take its place.

http://tinyurl.com/2f7w3hw
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I see a differences between DVD movie sales and the viability of the format.

That article is focused on the income derived from selling movies on DVD. Yet, one of the alternative delivery methods, Redbox, relies on consumers having a DVD player. I would be interested in hearing how much of Netflix's customers still use DVD vs. their on-line streaming delivery.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I know that isn't the subject of this forum, but I will ask still:

Brazilian Distribution Services and Materials Management Office begin to make and sold national made DVDs with poor recording and appearance. The DVDs are "home-made" copies, or I believe it, because of the poor material. The medias (the disks) are purple collored, like DVD-R or DVD-RW medias. The DVD seal are poor printed. The cover are so bad that the DVD logo does not fit in the space. This cover are bad printed on a photo-paper, I believe.

The question: Are that new politics still in place at USA/Canada Distribution Services too? I believe only R$ 4,00 or R$ 5,00 in the product price aren't so hard to pay with the intention of reducing the price of the product.

As a DVDs collector, I hope the day Portuguese-voiced movies are available in better presentations again in Brazil.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

MorettiDP wrote:....Brazilian Distribution Services and Materials Management Office begin to make and sold national made DVDs with poor recording and appearance. The DVDs are "home-made" copies, or I believe it, because of the poor material. The medias (the disks) are purple collored, like DVD-R or DVD-RW medias. The DVD seal are poor printed. The cover are so bad that the DVD logo does not fit in the space. This cover are bad printed on a photo-paper, I believe.
I assume that the DVD's your talking about are owned by the Church and not commercial DVD's that someone is copying and distributing w/o license:rolleyes:
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Digital Media”