Enhanced General Conference DVD

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
srhamblin-p40

Enhanced General Conference DVD

Post by srhamblin-p40 »

I would like to propose enhancing the General Conference DVD incorporating downloadable video for mobile devices and and interactive search engine program to find and play high resolution video.

The enhancement would the session of conference and an associated DVD-ROM program with associated downloadable H.264 video. The quality and resolution of the H.264 video would have to be determined but would be higher than the existing web based downloadable video. The higher quality would be possible because the end user would be using a direct connection on their computer instead of an internet connection.

The downloadable video H.264 would make it easy for for users to use conference talks on their mobile devices, make it easier to incorporate good resolution video in presentations i.e. Powerpoint for church and FHE lessons. The current downloadable video standard (the web) is cumbersome and extremely time consuming for the end user. The quality of the current video is marginal at best for mobile devices and virtually unacceptable for presentation on a large screen or even a computer monitor.

The interactive search engine would make the product more usable to the end user in giving them the ability to search the conference DVD for specific topics and/or speakers for use in gospel study and teaching. This search program would then offer a hi-res version of the selected video in a flash or web based player.

The hi-res/H.264 video makes it easier for the end user with a computer to search and enjoy the conference experience and facilitates the ease of use in classroom/Home gospel teaching.

I believe this would greatly enhance the usability of the General Conference DVD product and draw users closer to the word of the Prophets.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

srhamblin wrote:The downloadable video H.264 would make it easy for for users to use conference talks on their mobile devices, make it easier to incorporate good resolution video in presentations i.e. Powerpoint for church and FHE lessons. The current downloadable video standard (the web) is cumbersome and extremely time consuming for the end user. The quality of the current video is marginal at best for mobile devices and virtually unacceptable for presentation on a large screen or even a computer monitor.
It sounds like you are requesting that the General Conference DVDs include a digital copy.

Recent versions of General Conference are already available via podcast (example here). H.264 (mp4) versions are available for download from the web via http://gc.lds.org by clicking on the appropriate QuickTime icon next to the desired talk or music.

I tried accessing some of the April 2009 General Conference via the Safari browser in my iPhone. The samples I selected appeared to work fine for my iPhone display. When I output that video from my iPhone to a standard television set using a composite A/V cable, the picture quality, while not superb, was more than adequate when compared with the resolution of some of the output on YouTube.

So in a certain sense some of what you are requesting is already available, just not at a resolution you prefer.
Ryan Gardner-p40

Post by Ryan Gardner-p40 »

I was actually going to ask for it on BluRay :)

They broadcast conference in HD, record the audio in 5.1, but I think only people in KSL's range get the HD feed...

It just feels like a shame to record it in beautiful HD quality but not release it or distribute it (except for the KSL broadcast) in that quality.

Return to “Digital Media”