Special Witnesses Video - ending song

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
rowleypoly

Special Witnesses Video - ending song

Post by rowleypoly »

I am looking for any information that might lead me to the sheet music for the men's chorus song at the end of the Special Witnesses of Christ video... I have searched high and low on youtube, Jackman music, the church website. Even just the name of the arranger could help me find the sheet music (obviously the sheet music exists, I just don't know where to look for it!)

Anyone know how to find that info? It's not on the credits or anything, so I need some kind of back door...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Special Witnesses Video - ending song

Post by sbradshaw »

What song is it? Do you have a link to the video you're looking at (if I remember correctly, Special Witnesses of Christ is a series with multiple segments)?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rowleypoly wrote:Anyone know how to find that info? It's not on the credits or anything, so I need some kind of back door...
It does not sound like the men of the Tabernacle Choir, so I am guessing that the BYU Men's Chorus or one of their other choirs did a special recording for the video. But it is just a slightly arranged men's version of Hymn #135, My Redeemer Lives.

President Hinckley wrote the text of the hymn, which is probably why they used it in the video.

A member with excellent music talents in your stake could probably fix you up with something fairly quickly if you are looking for something to sing in a meeting. If you want a complete orchestral arrangement, you might plead with the BYU Music Department for some help which, of course, would take a little longer.

Or just ask your music director to have Hymn #135 sung in your next priesthood meeting.
rowleypoly

Post by rowleypoly »

Sorry I should have mentioned that it is an arrangement of My Redeemer Lives. I am actually working at transcribing it for our ward choir, which is coming along okay, but every so often I just think it would be so much easier to just find the sheet music! Gah!

The arrangement has some pretty tight harmonies and a few key changes that are also making the process slightly more difficult, but nothing I can't handle.

Alas, I will continue with the transcription and feel good about magnifying my calling!

And maybe I will reach out to the BYU music dept. I hadn't thought of that, although I did suspect it was BYU men's chorus.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rowleypoly wrote:Sorry I should have mentioned that it is an arrangement of My Redeemer Lives. I am actually working at transcribing it for our ward choir, which is coming along okay, but every so often I just think it would be so much easier to just find the sheet music! Gah!
Please note that when you transcribe an arrangement from a recording, you have no idea what the terms of the copyright are on that arrangement. Are you certain that you can legally transcribe this and then perform it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rowleypoly wrote:(obviously the sheet music exists, I just don't know where to look for it!)
It's one thing for sheet music to exist (I agree that it must have existed to be performed), and another for it to be published. It certainly happens that music is written and performed but never published (music used in the temple is an obvious example, but there are others).
youngheart80

Post by youngheart80 »

I know I'm coming to this quite a few months later, but wanted to leave the info in case others come looking.

I was a member of the chorus that sang for the recording. It was indeed, as some guessed, a mix of men from the choirs at BYU Provo - Men's Chorus, Concert Choir, and University Singers.

This was a Sam Cardon arrangement of "My Redeemer Lives" (Hymn #135 in the LDS Hymnal), chosen as for that DVD as President Gordon B. Hinkley wrote the words for that hymn. He didn't directed the music for us during recording as I recall, but do remember him coming out to talk and give notes between takes. This was around 2008, I believe.

I don't know if the particular arrangement is available anywhere, but that might give you some direction of you're still looking.

Return to “Digital Media”