"Come, Follow Me" - videos missing from downloads

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
kendalljayspringer

"Come, Follow Me" - videos missing from downloads

Post by kendalljayspringer »

In my ward, I am responsible to download all of the videos for the YW, YM and SS. The last couple of months I have had complaints from some of the teachers that there are videos referenced in their lessons that are not included in the monthly downloads. I have two questions about this. The first question is, are the videos that are in the monthly 'batch' download all of the videos that legally can be downloaded? In other words, the videos that are not included in the download but are referenced in the lessons are those videos that for copyright reasons can be streamed but not downloaded? The second question is, do I need to download from all three pages (YM, YW and SS)? I did this the other night, but the zip files from the three pages were exactly the same for October 2013 and November 2013.
I do have another question, would it be possible to have a simple FTP site or download page set up for those of us who are responsible for downloading, organizing and preparing the media for all of the teachers in our ward or stake?
Thank You
rknelson

Re: "Come, Follow Me" - videos missing from downloads

Post by rknelson »

kendalljayspringer wrote:...are the videos that are in the monthly 'batch' download all of the videos that legally can be downloaded?
No, they are not complete. In my experience they tend to be missing videos that get added, for example, the videos added to the lessons from the "Hastening the Work" broadcast are missing. It seems that the videos are compiled in a one time effort, and they don't get updated as the lessons are enhanced during the year to reflect conference addresses and so on. Also, some videos like the "Humanitarian Videos" referenced this quarter are not included in the "batch.
kendalljayspringer wrote:...would it be possible to have a simple FTP site or download page set up for those of us who are responsible for downloading, organizing and preparing the media for all of the teachers in our ward or stake?
There is a solution for this, the "USB Video Manager" free app. The post below describes it, but I suggest reading the entire thread. The post contains a link to a YouTube video that demonstrates how to install and use the app on Windows or Mac to download the videos painlessly. The target for playing the videos is a Roku or WD Live player, but the USB Flash (or on disk directory) it produces is also well suited for use standalone, or even as a source for getting the videos to send to another format like DVD. Here is the post:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p105655

The files that drive USB Video Manager are updated quarterly just before the beginning of the quarter by volunteers, and we are using it with great success throughout our stake. I suggest you read the entire thread. Feel free to contact me by post here or Private Message if you have questions.
kendalljayspringer

Re: "Come, Follow Me" - videos missing from downloads

Post by kendalljayspringer »

Thank you so much for this information. Very helpful.

Return to “Digital Media”