Come follow me videos on DVD

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
bretpetersen1

Come follow me videos on DVD

Post by bretpetersen1 »

I read through much of the thread on videos bud didn't find this - how to make a DVD video that will play on older DVD players. We have several Toshiba TVs with DVD players. I downloaded the videos for Jan-Mar and burned them to a data DVD using windows. I can select the videos and play them fine on my new DVD player at home but the DVD player in the older Toshiba TVs won't play them. These TVs read the disk and display the menu structure on the DVD. I think they will show JPEG files but not sure about others. So is there any way to use these TV's DVD player to show videos?

We don't have any stake people even working on this. Wish we had some tech gurus here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Come follow me videos on DVD

Post by russellhltn »

bretpetersen1 wrote:but the DVD player in the older Toshiba TVs won't play them. These TVs read the disk and display the menu structure on the DVD.
That seems odd. So the Toshibas can display the menu from the DVD, which I assume means you can select something, but then the video won't play?

You might try using different brand of media. DVD-R (Not DVD+R, or DVD-RW, etc) would be the best choice. And the brand might have something to do with it. I personally have had very good luck with Verbatum.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I can only speak from my own experience. I started making DVDs years ago using Apple's DVD Studio Pro software. It can create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders on my hard drive and then I can drag those to a DVD-R and burn it. Problem is, the DVD player only recognizes that as a data DVD an not a video DVD. But when I burn the DVD through DVD Studio Pro as a video DVD then the player sees it differently (even though my computer acts as if the two types of DVDs are the same because they show the same files).

So, apparently an older DVD player doesn't want to treat a data DVD like a video DVD but a newer player can. I have no experience with other video DVD burning software but I would start by looking for a preference that distinguishes between something meant as a DVD-ROM and something meant to contain video.
bretpetersen1

Post by bretpetersen1 »

russellhltn wrote:
bretpetersen1 wrote:but the DVD player in the older Toshiba TVs won't play them. These TVs read the disk and display the menu structure on the DVD.
That seems odd. So the Toshibas can display the menu from the DVD, which I assume means you can select something, but then the video won't play?

You might try using different brand of media. DVD-R (Not DVD+R, or DVD-RW, etc) would be the best choice. And the brand might have something to do with it. I personally have had very good luck with Verbatum.
I am using Verbatum DVD-R. I burned the disk as a data disk. The menu shows up (such as Aaronic Priesthood", subdirectory "January") but no files show up in the sub folders. I think this is because it is only looking for jpg files in this mode (it says something about jpg file types in menu box displaying the folders).

So I am trying to learn how to make DVD's that are compatible with these TVs.

I think I need to do something like mrrad said, but I don't have any special software and not sure how to do it.

I have no idea why the church did not simply make DVD's with these videos. One person with experience in video could surely do this in a day rather than have hundreds of us trying to duplicate this work. I realize there are other ways - roku devices, usb thumb drives, etc. But these solutions require new hardware. We have 4 tvs with DVD players that work just fine.

Thanks.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Many (Most?) older DVD players cannot play Mpeg or other "data" formats. It must be burned as a regular DVD. I use a free program called DVD Flick (see http://www.dvdflick.net)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bretpetersen1 wrote:I burned the disk as a data disk. The menu shows up (such as Aaronic Priesthood", subdirectory "January") but no files show up in the sub folders. I think this is because it is only looking for jpg files in this mode (it says something about jpg file types in menu box displaying the folders).
Sounds like the TV can read data disks for stills but not for movies. Looks like you need to burn a video DVD.

Your computer may have such a program, or you could use a free program like DVD Flick. Hopefully they sync will be better for you then it was the last time I tried to use it.

If you have Windows 7, you could try Windows Movie Maker.
bretpetersen1 wrote:I have no idea why the church did not simply make DVD's with these videos. One person with experience in video could surely do this in a day rather than have hundreds of us trying to duplicate this work.
See: Preaching, Subsection: to choir
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bretpetersen1

Post by bretpetersen1 »

Sorry about preaching to the choir - lol.

I will look into movie maker. Thanks.
sbamian

Post by sbamian »

Hi,

I made a DVD that played in our DVD player at our ward. This was for our Come Follow me Lesson.

http://www.wondershare.com/video-editor/mac/ I have a mac so I purchased this burning software. This company also makes it for pc's too. It was very easy to use. drag and drop. Then create a menu so it can play in your DVD player. This just takes a minute.

You need to purchase a dvd video disk, not a dvd data disk. Download your video to your desktop from lds.org. Drag your video(s) to the wondershare program. Create a Menu. On my mac it would not burn it straight to the disk and got stuck at 50% throught the burning process.

I looked at the technical specs for this software and it says sometimes this happens and to just to save it as an iso file into your "disk utility". Then you put your disk in the computer and burn it straight from the this "disk utility" area where the iso file is saved.

I think our player is a toshiba brand. The disk worked perfectly.

hint: if you use this simple software... and you are new to burning like I am, just look on the packaging of your disks you purchased and match that to "drop down" choices relating to the disk speed etc.

This program was very simple to use.

mac disk utility location: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/os-x/ ... kutillity/

wondershare tech instructions if your burning freezes at 50%: http://support.wondershare.com/how-tos/ ... at-50.html
lstrom

Post by lstrom »

ggllbb wrote:Many (Most?) older DVD players cannot play Mpeg or other "data" formats. It must be burned as a regular DVD. I use a free program called DVD Flick (see http://www.dvdflick.net)
thank you for the above link; I am presently looking into software in order to burn The Life of Jesus Christ mp4s unto a DVD; it is nice to find what programs are available to enable this. I will give this a try
ozminer

Post by ozminer »

lstrom wrote:
ggllbb wrote:Many (Most?) older DVD players cannot play Mpeg or other "data" formats. It must be burned as a regular DVD. I use a free program called DVD Flick (see http://www.dvdflick.net)
thank you for the above link; I am presently looking into software in order to burn The Life of Jesus Christ mp4s unto a DVD; it is nice to find what programs are available to enable this. I will give this a try
I am using AppGeeker DVD Creator. Look it up: how to burn mp4 to DVD
It is very versatile (all the options may be a little overwhelming at first) and can do batch encoding.
BTW, I would use standard DVD-R's. DVD-RW's are best for data storage.

Return to “Digital Media”