USB Flash setup for Come Follow Me videos on Roku Player

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
bretpetersen1

Re: USB Flash setup for Come Follow Me videos on Roku Player

Post by bretpetersen1 »

Thanks to all contributing to the program for downloading the videos. It works great. I hope you will continue to support it for a while, at least until other options are available - we are counting on it.

I found that several Samsung TVs at Best Buy will support playing Mpg4 from the USB (none with built-in DVD player though). These TVs have a joystick button on the side to navigate the menus. It is particularly nice to be able to play the videos without having to use the remote. We have purchased some TVs and Blue-ray players and plan to use USB thumb drives to show the videos directly from the TV USB input.

The thumbnail jpeg's for the videos don't show up on the TV menu, but other than that it works great. Maybe Samsung does not use the standard method to show the thumbnails. Does anyone know if there if a fix for this? Not a big deal but it doesn't look as professional.

Thanks!
rknelson

April - June 2014 Come Follow Me videos added

Post by rknelson »

The April-June Come Follow Me videos are now available in USB Video Manager. One video "Follow the Promptings of the Spirit" (SS, May, Lesson 5) has a bad link on lds.org, so it will not download. However, ALL other videos currently referenced in the lessons are included. The Mormon Messages and Bible Videos libraries have also been updated to include new videos released earlier this year. A list of the videos which we distribute to teachers in our stake is attached.
Attachments
USB Flash Contents 2014 Q2 General.pdf
(50.61 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Here's a working link for that video: http://broadcast2.lds.org/church-histor ... 0p-eng.mp4
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

Thanks, for the link! I just updated the USB Video Manager files to reflect it.

Every video referenced in the Come Follow Me lessons for April-June of 2014 is now supported.

Since this is a long thread, I just want to add that anyone using a media player (Roku, Western Digital, TV's that play mp4's from a USB input, or media servers) to play videos from lds.org should try this free utility. It makes downloading videos easy, and has libraries for Come Follow Me, Bible videos, Book of Mormon Seminary videos, Scripture Stories, Mormon Messages, CES broadcasts, General Conference, and much more. Nearly 2000 videos so far. The tool just automates the downloads from lds.org for you. You can see a brief 4 minute demo of how it works here:
http://youtu.be/nNZMAfnpXLg
The demo was created about a year ago before all the library content was added. We now have 16 Roku's in our stake and use this to provide content for all of them.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

Note that 2 videos were added for an Easter lesson in youth Sunday School. They have just been added to the USB Video Manager.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

Of note. The Church provides a list of A/V hardware and in particular a list of TVs that are compatible for video playback. We are working on making that list more accessible and easier to find. In the meantime the following TVs are listed and are compatible for USB video playback:

SAMSUNG 28”-(HG28NB670BF)-$378 (Includes Handle & Carrying Case)
LG 32”-(32LY340C)-$319
LG 47”-(47LY340C)-$687
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Is there a way to download the Leadership Training Library videos that are within the Gospel Library app ( Leadership > Leadership Training Library ) using this program?

I've downloaded and launched the "USB Video Manager", but I don't see any leadership training library videos.

Thank you~!
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

In general, most of the "Leadership Training Library" videos are not yet there. The training videos in USB Video Manager now are:
"Worldwide Leadership Training 2013 - Strengthening the Family and the Church through the Priesthood" (9 videos)
"Come Follow Me - Teaching Methods" (23 videos)
"Come Follow Me - Training" (18 videos)

It takes some work to create the library files, but once one person has created the library file, anyone can download the library easily. Anyone wishing to help create library files can send me a private message and I would be happy to provide details on how they are created.
joshuafunk

Post by joshuafunk »

Is there a library file for Spanish videos?? Or how is it that I can make libraries for Spanish video groups?
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

joshuafunk wrote:Is there a library file for Spanish videos?? Or how is it that I can make libraries for Spanish video groups?
I played with supporting Spanish. As long as the videos are available, and in the same location as the english videos, it is possible to create spanish library files rather easily. I played with this a little bit and found that it seemed several videos were missing. I would be happy to work with you to try this out. Send me a private message your email and let me know the library you are most interested in. I will create the library file and you can check it out to let me know if missing videos are actually available somewhere else.

Return to “Digital Media”