Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
drepouille

Re: Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Post by drepouille »

I ordered them from Staples through the Church interface in Clerk Resources.

Dana
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I added a new blog article with some step-by-step instructions for downloading the Come, Follow Me videos on LDS.org using Gospel Library Android, iOS, and the regular web. See "Help Resources for Downloading LDS.org Video to Mobile Devices" at http://bit.ly/RxEBft.

You can also rewatch the broadcast today if you missed it: http://broadcast.lds.org/ICS/techtalk/2013-01-04.html
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Your instructions for iPad and iPhone also seem to work for the iPod Touch, but of course we would never use an iPod Touch in the classroom.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

drepouille wrote:I looked for all information on our new LG 32LD452B TV, and it doesn't look like there is any way for it to play videos. It only supports picture files and music files, but no videos. I thought I might be able to update its firmware by connecting its RJ-45 jack to a live port in the stake center. However, there does not appear to be any way to update its firmware.
Dana
Wow. Big no-no. The port on the hub to which I had connected the LG TV is now dead. I don't understand how a TV could kill a port on a hub, but it did. Luckily, I still have enough ports on that hub to cover the computers in the FHC.

Scary stuff!
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I don't understand how a TV could kill a port on a hub, but it did.
All it has to do is supply a voltage in excess of anything a Ethernet connection should expect. It does seem to underscore the point that it's not a Ethernet jack. Seems like LG should have picked a different connector - or at least a less damaging pinout.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

drepouille wrote:I would love to know if there is a way to play mp4 files from a USB flash drive on the new 32-inch LG TVs that the FM recently bought for us.
Roku 2 XS or Western Digital WD TV Live
crees

Post by crees »

drepouille wrote:
Wow. Big no-no. The port on the hub to which I had connected the LG TV is now dead. I don't understand how a TV could kill a port on a hub, but it did. Luckily, I still have enough ports on that hub to cover the computers in the FHC.

Scary stuff!
I think this TV does have a Ehternet RJ45 Jack. However it would not suprise me that if this TV is on a cart that it could blow out a data port. Some of those carts can generate some sierous static enery (with the right carpet or flooring) You just want to make sure its well grouded to an oulet before pluging your gear in or else that static energy is going to find its way to your remote equipment.
crees

Post by crees »

Another Media Player alternative. WORKS REALLY WELL with mormon channel and LDS.org media.

So as a followup I just got my RockChip (UG802) Android Mini HDMI PC. This is an awesom little player that connects directly into your HD display via HDMI. It Runs Android so church devoped apps are ready to run. The device also has a External Mini SD slot so you can load up images music and video locally so if WiFi is not available you can still play your media using the build int media players. Wifi is 802.11n and the performance is outrite Awesome. Oh and cost is 45-65 depending the vendor and shipping. Mine was $54 on Amazon.

Below is a youtube video of the Rockchip Mini PC close up (Privately listed for LDS Tech Viewers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhAregzIv7o

And here it is working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj5OCFD_ZdA

I was incorrect about the local storge. It actually has over a 1GB storage . But still nice to have an external Micro SD slot for larger storage.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crees wrote:I think this TV does have a Ehternet RJ45 Jack.
The model given by drepouille does have a RJ-45 jack, but it's labled "RJP". The owner's manual doesn't give any details, but the sales brochures say "As a versatile addition to the TV viewing experience, LG's optional autosensing Remote Jack Packs (RJP)*, can serve as a multimedia hub that can be installed conveniently on a table or in a wall. Connect portable devices such as a laptop, mp3 player, or a digital camera to display images, play video or music from the set."

All indications are that it's only to connect a proprietary device, not to a Ethernet system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

I started this thread and wanted to post what we came up with in our stake. We used a 19” TV/DVD combination unit with a Roku 2 XS and USB flash drive attached to the back. The units are intended to be carried to the classroom without a cart. With a little work to organize the videos with “poster art”, it seems like the result well accepted and easy to use. I created a 4 minute YouTube video to show others what we put together:

http://youtu.be/FsF6GlqWvno

While the units can stream, we encourage playing the videos from the attached flash drive.

We also created and distributed DVD’s with the videos for each teacher to use.

A combination of personal devices, DVD’s and these units seems to be working well from what I can tell so far.

Total cost was about $254 per unit. Two units per building. They were purchased with stake budget funds.

Return to “Digital Media”