Marketing Automation Platform Assisted Content Marketing for the Missionary Department?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
jpmuofu

Marketing Automation Platform Assisted Content Marketing for the Missionary Department?

Post by jpmuofu »

For my profession, I own a company that creates automated nurture marketing strategies for businesses that have long or complex sales cycles. These strategies are designed to start and build relationships with prospect customers and then when the time is right leverage those relationships of trust to close product sales.

As a longtime member of the Church I have always dreamed of building a sophisticated automated nurture marketing strategy and execution plan for the Church's missionary program. The plan would include tactics for starting relationships with potential investigators and progressing them through the conversion process to the stage when they are ready to meet with the missionaries.

Currently Mormon.org is essentially saying to potential investigators that unless they are ready to talk with a missionary now, we are not interested in starting a conversation with them. A proper nurture marketing campaign would start far earlier in an investigators decision process. In marketing there is a dating analogy that is often used to explain the disconnect that occurs with this approach. Imagine walking up to a stranger you find attractive and asking them to marry you. What percentage of people would be interested in continuing the conversation, 1 or 2 percent? If you approach the same person but start with something like finding common interests and then asking them on a date, the likelihood of marrying that person goes way up. For most people, meeting with the missionaries or converting to the gospel is not done on impulse and therefore we should not be leading with a sales pitch. We should be offering something a wider audience would value regardless of whether they have an immediate interest in Mormonism and then as the relationship grows start asking them to commit to more meaningful and strictly Mormon experiences.

I realize the Church is a huge machine and that those in charge are probably not looking for this kind of input but if anyone knows how to contact someone high enough up the ladder on the missionary marketing team, it would be fun to have a meeting with them to discuss the ideas I have been floating around in my head for over a decade.

Just as a side note, I'm not looking to sell something, I would love to just provide consulting on a project like this pro bono.

Any connections or thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by jpmuofu on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Marketing Automation Platform Assisted Content Marketing?

Post by russellhltn »

I have no idea how you'd meet someone on a higher level. You could start with the Mission President for your area.

As for Mormon.org, since the only people going there would be those who have taken the initiative, I'd think it would have a little different sales cycle. They've approached you, not the other way around.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jpmuofu

Re: Marketing Automation Platform Assisted Content Marketing for the Missionary Department?

Post by jpmuofu »

Thanks for the idea of contacting the mission president.

In response to your thought, the analogy still works in reverse. If someone who finds you attractive starts a conversation with you and the first thing you ask them is "Will You Marry Me?," you are still not going to be very successful. It would be better to go slow and then ask the hard questions after you've identified their interest level. I wouldn't suggest removing the "talk to a missionary" call to action from Mormon.org, there should just be alternate conversion paths for those not yet ready to invite missionaries into their homes.

Return to “Digital Media”