Page 1 of 1

LDS Account for a Nonmember

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm
by nutterb
We have an adult in our ward who is technically an investigator, but has been attending the ward regularly for several months. We anticipate his baptism occurring during the summer of this year. In the meantime, he and the ward leaders would like for him to be able to access the online resources for our ward.

Is it possible for him to sign up for an LDS Account and have it associated with our ward without a membership record?

If we create a non-member record, will he be able to use that to create an LDS Account?

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:37 pm
by aebrown
nutterb wrote:We have an adult in our ward who is technically an investigator, but has been attending the ward regularly for several months. We anticipate his baptism occurring during the summer of this year. In the meantime, he and the ward leaders would like for him to be able to access the online resources for our ward.

Is it possible for him to sign up for an LDS Account


Yes.

nutterb wrote:...and have it associated with our ward without a membership record?


No. Since he has no membership record, it can't be associated with your ward.

nutterb wrote:If we create a non-member record, will he be able to use that to create an LDS Account?


No. First of all, policy says that you shouldn't be creating a nonmember record in this case:
A nonmember record can be created for a person who is not a member of the Church but who has family members who are members of the Church. The nonmember record is created to record family relationships so that the nonmember can be listed with other family members. This should only be done for individuals who live in the ward boundaries.
Second, since a nonmember record is a temporary record, it does not have a membership record number that would allow it to be tied to an LDS Account.

I can understand why this might be desirable, but there is no way to do it now technically. Even nonmember spouses don't have a way to access Church online resources at this point (although this is under development).

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm
by russellhltn
He can create a non-member LDS Account, but I know of no way of getting access to the ward resources with that.

I doubt if the non-member record number would work for signing up for a "member" LDS Account.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 am
by nutterb
I figured that's what the answer would be. I'm really not a big fan of outliers.