LDS Account for a Nonmember

LDS Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to LDS Account (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
nutterb
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Shaker Heights, OH, USA

LDS Account for a Nonmember

Postby nutterb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

We have an adult in our ward who is technically an investigator, but has been attending the ward regularly for several months. We anticipate his baptism occurring during the summer of this year. In the meantime, he and the ward leaders would like for him to be able to access the online resources for our ward.

Is it possible for him to sign up for an LDS Account and have it associated with our ward without a membership record?

If we create a non-member record, will he be able to use that to create an LDS Account?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:37 pm

nutterb wrote:We have an adult in our ward who is technically an investigator, but has been attending the ward regularly for several months. We anticipate his baptism occurring during the summer of this year. In the meantime, he and the ward leaders would like for him to be able to access the online resources for our ward.

Is it possible for him to sign up for an LDS Account


Yes.

nutterb wrote:...and have it associated with our ward without a membership record?


No. Since he has no membership record, it can't be associated with your ward.

nutterb wrote:If we create a non-member record, will he be able to use that to create an LDS Account?


No. First of all, policy says that you shouldn't be creating a nonmember record in this case:
A nonmember record can be created for a person who is not a member of the Church but who has family members who are members of the Church. The nonmember record is created to record family relationships so that the nonmember can be listed with other family members. This should only be done for individuals who live in the ward boundaries.
Second, since a nonmember record is a temporary record, it does not have a membership record number that would allow it to be tied to an LDS Account.

I can understand why this might be desirable, but there is no way to do it now technically. Even nonmember spouses don't have a way to access Church online resources at this point (although this is under development).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20732
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm

He can create a non-member LDS Account, but I know of no way of getting access to the ward resources with that.

I doubt if the non-member record number would work for signing up for a "member" LDS Account.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

nutterb
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Postby nutterb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 am

I figured that's what the answer would be. I'm really not a big fan of outliers.


Return to “LDS Account”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest