unable to set up Family Search account for my grandaughter.

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
lamom03

unable to set up Family Search account for my grandaughter.

Post by lamom03 »

Hello,
My 15 yr old granddaughter, [redacted] can not set up a Family Search account. When she enters her name it says it is in use but she does not remember what the email address, username or passcode she used when she first set it up several years ago.
She has tried asking her Ward membership clerk and they do not know what to do either.
I tried setting up another one under her new email address and it will not let us do that either.

What do we need to do to get one set up for her?

Thank you for your time,

[redacted]- Grandma

[Moderator note: names redacted for minor safety]
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: unable to set up Family Search account for my grandaughter.

Post by rmrichesjr »

The announcement topic/thread at the top of this (LDS Account) forum has some suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=30383

If I understand correctly, if the original account was set up with her MRN, she should be able to use the method to recover username and reset password by MRN. If none of the methods in the above-referenced topic help, contacting FamilySearch support directly is probably the best method to find a solution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:she should be able to use the method to recover username and reset password by MRN.
We've discovered the rules have changed. It's no longer possible to recover the user name via MRN, but if you know the user name, you can reset the password via MRN as long as it hasn't been disabled for the account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That's interesting. I called the GSC a few months ago, and asked why a sister could not recover her username using her MRN. The GSC agent said she didn't see any problem with the account that would have prevented her from doing so. Luckily, the sister found her username and password written in some very old personal notes.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

russellhltn wrote:We've discovered the rules have changed. It's no longer possible to recover the user name via MRN, but if you know the user name, you can reset the password via MRN as long as it hasn't been disabled for the account.
Oh. I was not aware of a change in those rules. Is there a solution for someone who cannot remember the username and cannot find it in any old notes?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rmrichesjr wrote:Is there a solution for someone who cannot remember the username and cannot find it in any old notes?
They'll have to work through the ward clerk who can put them into contact with the GSC.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:Is there a solution for someone who cannot remember the username and cannot find it in any old notes?
Recovering the user name via email or SMS is still there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”