Adding children to records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Cherrinebell

Adding children to records

Post by Cherrinebell »

In lds tools there are no children listed but are son is almost 1 and had a blessing months ago how can we get him added to our family records we have asked 2 different bishop for help and no one seems to know how to do this can someone please help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding children to records

Post by russellhltn »

That would be something the ward clerk or membership clerk has to deal with.

If he's having trouble, he can ask the stake clerk or come here and we can help him out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Cherrinebell wrote:In lds tools there are no children listed but are son is almost 1 and had a blessing months ago how can we get him added to our family records we have asked 2 different bishop for help and no one seems to know how to do this can someone please help
To assist in Russelhltn's suggestion, you might speak with your ward clerk or assistant clerk-membership and request a copy of your family's Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS). This will allow you to check all your information and give you something to take notes on to speak with your clerk. He can create the record in just a few minutes once he has all the required information.

The problem I deal with as ward clerk is we have gotten away from all the paper forms that used to be completed for ordinances/record creation and if I am not present, no one thinks to inform me it has occurred. Child blessings are what normally trigger the membership record because the form gives the clerk everything he needs but if no form was filled out and the clerk was gone that day, he would not know unless someone told him.

The bishop is often very busy so it may have slipped his mind with some of the other issues he is helping members with. The clerk can take care of this for you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:Child blessings are what normally trigger the membership record because the form gives the clerk everything he needs but if no form was filled out and the clerk was gone that day, he would not know unless someone told him.
But that's assuming the blessing took place in your ward. If it took place in another ward, it would be very easy to fall though the cracks. That's still a question that clerks deal with - who creates the record when a child is blessed outside of their home ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Baby blessings are one of my biggest complaints. The proud parents walk in a couple minutes before Sacrament meeting and tell the bishopric that they want to bless their baby. The ordinance is done. Then the clerk (assuming he is present) has to run around trying to collect information from the parents so he can create a certificate and a membership record.

If parents gave us a little more time, we could hand them a blank "Create Record" form (of which I have a pre-printed stack). The bishop would also have some time to interview the father (or other) if the bishop feels such an interview is necessary. But such happy families often bring visiting relatives, and the family arrives late and leaves early, so we never get a chance to follow proper procedures.

Dismounting soap box now.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Point made.

Cherrinebell, you need to talk to your clerk. As you can see, there's lots of reasons why the records may not be up to date. But talking to the clerk is how it gets fixed.

bennett.michael.j

Post by bennett.michael.j »

Question on this same general topic - we had a convert baptism here, and our new member has listed four children on the form. Two of the children were born before the father turned 12. When I try to set up the record for the dad, I get error messages saying the age of the children is not appropriate given the age of the father, and I'm unable to continue. I ended up deleting the two children and creating the record two kids short. Any ideas on how to get them properly added?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bennett.michael.j wrote:Two of the children were born before the father turned 12.
I'd start by confirming that is a fact and not a record-keeping error.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

bennett.michael.j wrote:Two of the children were born before the father turned 12.
I don't think we give you a way to bypass that check. After you have done what russellhltn suggested and verified that the data is actually correct, you will probably need to contact the GSC for assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the standard is to follow the legal parentage: If not biological, then a legal adoption. Not just custody or guardianship.

Return to “Membership Help”