unable to change my new email address from my old

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
LaurieBeth2

unable to change my new email address from my old

Post by LaurieBeth2 »

I've had many attemtps to change my email address to my new one but each time is says there is already a user with that information. How do I edit my email address?
duffin

Re: unable to change my new email address from my old

Post by duffin »

I have a very similar problem and am unable to edit my old account email as it says the new email is already used by another user (which happens to be me)! My wife uses the old account email so I don't know if that is part of the problem.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

IIUC, you will have to have separate email addresses for your account and your wife's account. (If that's wrong, someone please correct me.) Your ward clerk should be able to arrange contact with the Global Service Center if you need to merge multiple accounts.

[Edit: Thanks for the correction.]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

duffin wrote:I have a very similar problem and am unable to edit my old account email as it says the new email is already used by another user (which happens to be me)! My wife uses the old account email so I don't know if that is part of the problem.
Each person should have only one account, and an email address can only be associated with one account. See next post

It sounds like you may have multiple accounts that should be combined.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jerrobertson

Post by jerrobertson »

Generally, an email address currently can be shared by multiple accounts up to a limit. There is another check that is happening that I think is what you are running against. It checks whether the combination of first name, last name, and email match another account. This is done to avoid a user creating multiple copies of the same account (Multiple people may share the same name, but they probably don't share the same name and email address).

Check the error message carefully--if it is saying that you have exceeded the shared email limit, then you can't use that email address until one of the other accounts changes theirs. If the error indicates that another account has the same user information, then you likely already have an account.

If you own the email address in question, then you should be able to perform username/password recovery to get access to the offending account(s), which is why shared email is highly discouraged. It is allowed for those cases where a parents wants their children who don't have an email address to have a Church Account.

Return to “Church Account”