shared email address

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
cathrynjohnstonsanders

shared email address

Post by cathrynjohnstonsanders »

My husband and I share the same email address. I have an account opened in that address. I am unable to get my husband an LDS account with the same email address. Please help as we can not turn in our missionary recommendation without one. Thanks!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: shared email address

Post by Mikerowaved »

Unfortunately, the LDS Account system is inflexible when it comes to having unique email addresses. You'll need to create another one for your husband for him to get an account. At a minimum, you'll use it for verification purposes and lost password recovery. This means you can both continue to use your joint email address for every day correspondence and let the new one sit dormant.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:This means you can both continue to use your joint email address for every day correspondence and let the new one sit dormant.
However, any emails from church about his calling will go to his account. So, I'd advise against leaving it dormant. Also, if it lays dormant too long, it may get canceled - leaving that address open for someone else to claim it and possibly reset his LDS Account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

If your email provider supports it, you can use an alias to have a separate email address that delivers to the same mailbox. The system should see that as a unique address and messages sent to both addresses will be delivered to the same mailbox.

Here are instructions for a few of the of large providers:
Outlook (outlook,com, msn.com, hotmail.com, etc.): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ge-aliases
Gmail: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370
Yahoo!: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15953.html
iCloud: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2622
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Welcome to the forum, cathrynjohnstonsanders, and all the best for your mission!
Since free email accounts (gmail, Yahoo) are reliable these days, it's worth the hassle getting separate emails so you can have your own individual LDS account. If needed, it's likely a family member or ward member can quickly help you get one, and set it up as suggested by scgallafent (above.) Many permissions on LDS.org are tied to your specific calling- missionary, Elders quorum, relief Society, bishopric, youth, etc, so getting your spouse his own personal LDS account will be helpful anyway, and perhaps needed on your mission.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:so getting your spouse his own personal LDS account will be helpful anyway, and perhaps needed on your mission.
Depending on the assigned tasks, it might be required for confidentiality reasons.

While I know some couples have a "no secrets" policy, church policy does demand that some confidential information not be shared - even with a spouse. In fact, I've heard, that's a quick way for a bishop to get released.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Church Account”